Milk withdrawal time when using Sulmet?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by outofmire, Apr 27, 2005.

1. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

I have a doe that just kidded 2 wks ago. I have treated her for coccidiosis for 2 days now using Sulmet drinking water soln. Then like a dummy, I wondered AFTER the fact what the milk withdrawal time was. I can't find the info on the bottle. In fact, it says not to give to dairy cattle over 20 mos. of age because of problems with milk residues. The treatment hasn't really worked anyhow. So I was wondering if I should stop. She's our only lactating goat this year. I really wanted to get some milk from her. Anyone know what the milk withdrawal time is?

2. outofmire

Well, I feel even more stupid after doing a quick Internet search. Not supposed to use this on dairy animals. Great! So what should I do now that I have?

3. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Not to be a wet blanket but whenever treating an animal with medication be sure you are giving it for a confirmed reason. Have the stool tested first. I read your other post on this same? goat. Those stools you noticed may have been normal "post partum", looser than normal type. I think it is nature's way of cleaning out the system following delivery along with that "strange" looking vaginal discharge. Actually each of our goats has a different amount, color, and consistency of discharge. Two of the ones we had to go inside to turn and/or pull the kid have had a couple episodes of raspberry yogurt looking discharge. That kind of surprised me but with their difficult deliveries I guess I can expect anything. Thought we would lose the "old one" but she continues to milk large quantities along with nursing her kid.

Not sure what I would do now with milking her. Could you call a vet for advice?

Nappy

4. outofmire

Well, I hear ya. I figured it was fine to worm her because she hasn't been wormed since before being bred. As far as treating for coccidiosis. I think I should've read the label first, but I couldn't go the vet for a stool sample because I only have $2 to my name right now. Had $12 but I had to put gas in the truck to go anywhere, but I used that gas to come to town to make some phone calls about this and get on the Internet to try to find some answers.

I had already called the vet, but he said to call the manufacturer. Course I didn't have that number. Then when I finally got ahold of them, they said my vet had to call them before they could give out that kind of info since it was off label info.

Anyway, I've found some answers today. Egg withholding time is 15 days. My vet said to wait longer than that. The dangers are primarily three: potential human allegeries to Sulfa drugs, potential microbacterial resistance in humans, and it hasn't been proven one way or another whether this is carcinogenic to humans. They know it is for mice, but mice are shown to be more sensitive to this than humans. I don't know what we're going to do. It sure is a shame that I have to miss getting her milk after waiting all this time...1 year now. We were finally going to get our first goat milk. Stupid me! Wish I'd read the darn label.

As far as this being discharge. It just didn't occur to me that it was vaginal at all because she had nothing until 8 days after kidding. Is that normal? Then came this brown stuff. Looked exactly like diarrhea until today.