milk training... grrrrrrrrrrr......

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

daisy's babies were separated from daisy today. and i decided i want to milk daisy. i went out there today to try it out, and she is absolutely horrible. it's not like i have never touched her udder eaither, i rub bag balm on it every day, and have been for 3 weeks now. she acts up when i rub that in too. and before i get the bag balm out, i usually squirt a few stream out. its not painful for her anymore, the bruises are gone and so is the scabs.
    she kicks, runs, stomps, and she even turned to rip out a chunk of my hair!!! (she has never, ever, ever, ever been agressive or bity. ever.)i could hardly get a full squirt out, she was moving so much.
    what is the problem? i was so frustrated i had to go kick the fence before i let my temper out.

2. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

Are you feeding her while you milk her? My goat only gets grain while she is on the milk stand. She is so excited to get it she lets me do anything I want- milk, trim hooves, whatever. But when she runs out of food- she won't let me do anything anymore. Add a bit more feed and she is fine.

Hmmm...now I wonder...who trained who here? :)

3. Caprice Acres

i dont have a stand, and even when i feed her she doesnt stand still. i have goat fencing, and when i restrain her, i put her nose through one of the squares and use a leash to hold her nose in the square. it works well, and it doesnt hurt her. if i try to milk her while she is eating, she stopps eating. she wont eat after that. i made plans for a milk stand, but i have to buy all the equipment, i dont want to make my dad pay for it.
    treats dont work, she wont come close to me. any other time she comes running. i havent tryed herfavorite yet, skittles, but i will soon.

4. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I did the restraining bit too until we got our milking stand built. It really was an awful experience. She didn't like it and neither did we. From day one on the stand she is great. She can't wait to get on the stand in the mornings. The first place she goes when she gets out of the barn. She will stand as long as it takes to milk, trim anything that needs to be done. I'm not sure why the stands are so wonderful to them, but it really makes all the difference in the world. We got the plans off the internet, it really doesn't take as much as you would think. I think ours costs a total of around $20.00 and our lumber prices are very high here. Instead of using all the different sizes of boards, we used all 2x4's and I think we used about 4 and we had a small section of plywood that worked out great.

Also, if you want to pay for it and not burden your parents, Hooray for you. But, if you don't have the money yet...offer to do some extra chores for your Dad in exchange for his purchasing your building materials. (think of the worst chore your Dad has that your can do and offer to do it for a week for him) You could also remind them of the savings you'll have on your milk bill.

5. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We put the goats in the barn at night so they each have their own stall. One goat I used to milk by tying her to the fence. That worked OK. You really do need a stanchion though.

6. Caprice Acres

i know that the stand wouldnt be too much to build, but 20-30 dollars is a long way off with no job!! he already agreed to pay for my hay, if i pay him back. :bow:
    i have my own plans that i drew up. she's a horned pygmy, and i couldnt find a stand for that. besides the metal storebought ones are really expensive.
    the stand may make a difference. i must say that she is EXTREMELY smart and stubborn.:bash:(bad combo.) she knows everything. i cant pull any tricks on her. if she doesnt want to do something, i have to chase her around for at least 10 min. :rolleyes:

7. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

Boy I know what you mean. My Abigail is just giving me fits! Kick cry lay down hunker down. Today she kicked so hard she landed in the bucket and tipped it over then slipped in her milk and fell so when I got her up I had to finish milking a wet udder with her acting like I am murdering and then fed the contaminated milk to the pigs. I even tie her legs to help keep from getting kicked. Yesterday she did so good today she totally took me by surprise! About knocked me off my pail too.

Caren

8. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

I may be all wrong, but aren't pygmies more
    of a no-milk type goat? I guess anything
    can be done, but I'd leave babies on a pygmy
    and milk a true dairy breed.

9. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I first started milking without a stand. Get a pal to help hold the goat by the collar or halter, and a feed bucket while you milk. That worked pretty well for me until we got our stand built.

Ruth

10. Caprice Acres

the funny thing is that i am more stubborn than she is....

11. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Starsmom, I just read your post about:

//We got the plans off the internet, it really doesn't take as much as you would think. I think ours costs a total of around $20.00 and our lumber prices are very high here. Instead of using all the different sizes of boards, we used all 2x4's and I think we used about 4 and we had a small section of plywood that worked out great.//
    Do you have a URL for the stanchion plans?
    TIA Jillis