Milk Strainer

Discussion in 'Goats' started by LuckyGRanch, May 27, 2005.

1. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

I'm sick of ruining my good towels. The cow is about to freshen so, I am finally going to break down and buy a milk strainer.

Anyone have any opinions on which is the best and who to order from? I would love to learn from your experience!

Thanks so much!

Beth

2. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Yes, I love the non-woven one's from Tractor Supply. Either square or round. I like round the best. Simply "fold" the round into a cone shape and pour the milk through. Not real expensive either...

3. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

I use a coffee filter, the plastic kind you use in place of the paper ones. :)
    Patt

4. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

Well, this is going to sound nuts, but. . . I'm a nurse in a hospital and what I've found to be a wonderful strainer is an unused urine strainer that is designed to catch the smallest fragments of a kidney stone. It fits perfectly on a quart or half-gallon jar.

5. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I get my filters from Hoegger Goat Supply. They have a nice, clean, fast flow. Hoegger's also carries a nice big stainless steel strainer to use with the filters. The neck will fit into a large-mouth canning jar, which is handy. I don't use one of these just because it's too big to fit into my milking pail, and I'd have to make an extra trip to the house to use one. I'm one of those fanatics that actually brings clean bottles and ice water to the barn to get the milk chilling between does. I also never take more than a gallon of milk at a time, or I'd have to develop a different system. ;) I use a "Big Mouth" plastic funnel (http://www.canningpantry.com/canning-funnel1.html) with the "Filter-Clean" filters from Hoeggers. This funnel has a sieve that snaps in and out, and I just snap the filter in under the sieve. I think the filters run around three cents each. I tried one of the small stainless strainers from Hoegger's, but it was a pain to put the filter in, and took forever to filter the milk through that little bitty opening.

6. Emily Anne

Emily Anne Active Member

I got a plastic and aluminum strainer when I first got goats, it broke. So since then I have made my own. Take a juice jug and cut the bottom off then with a drill ( I use Daddy's drill press ) make as many holes as you can in the lid with around an 5/8 dill bit. I use milk filters from ether hoggards or Jeffers supply just cut to fit, place it over the opening, then put the lid on. Works great and very cheap! If you wanted it to go faster just find a plastic bottle with a bigger lid and put more holes in it. Hope this helps - Emily Anne