Milk Replacers - the saga continues...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Spinner, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I've read alot here about how bad milk replacers are and they should be avoided. I had to put little Penelope on MR due to the cost of store milk jumping to $4.85 a gallon here. She was drinking almost a gallon a day. That works out to a small fortune every month.

I did some research on the different MR's and found one by Manna Pro called Unimilk. It's designed for goats, sheep, calves, pigs, and others. There's a chart on the bag that tells how to mix it for the different babies.

I've had Penelope on it since she was about 3 weeks old and she seems to be doing very well. Tail wags, bounces around playing, jumps on everything she can find to jump on. She's started eating greens and sometimes goes out in the pasture with the big goats. Her eyes are pink (the linings). She seems to be very healthy.

So now I'm wondering... is there something I might be missing. Is there anything I should watch for? Do most MR fed kids seem to be doing fine and then take a sudden turn for the worse? Am I worrying to much?

I've always liked the Manna Pro brand feed. I used to feed that brand rabbit food to the show rabbits and their coats came in much fuller than with other brands. I'm assuming that all Manna Pro feeds and their milk replacer is superior to other brands.

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually, Unimilk is what you do not want. Read the label and I'm betting it will say soy. You might be lucky and she will be okay, having had the milk start. But soy is not milk, and not a good substitute. My vetfriend in Colorado told me she had a kid die on it. You might at least cut it half and half with milk or with a milk based replacer.
    mary

3. Spinner

I just checked the ingredients. #1 is dried whey, #2 is dried whey product, #3 is soy, #4 is animal fat. then dried whey protein concentrate, dried skimmed milk and a long list of other ingredients. I'll start mixing it with the whole milk, yogurt, and buttermilk. That was what I started her on. She's 2 months old now so I think I can afford to put her back on at least 1/2 milk for another month. Hopefully she'll be browsing good by then. I've caught her eating the chops that I toss out for the ducks and chickens. That won't hurt her will it?

4. mary,tx

At two months, you've given her a good start, so you should do fine. What are chops? You don't mean meat, do you?

Has she started nibbling feed?

mary

5. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Chops is chopped corn in this neck of the woods.

6. mary,tx

lol And here I am a Native Texan and I've never heard of that. To me, chops are pork. :rolleyes:

Well, I don't expect a little corn will hurt her, as long as she doesn't overdo it.

mary

7. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

This just kills me! Why on earth do they have to put ANIMAL FAT in a milk they market for vegitarian animals. This makes me so mad! I hate milk replacer. Oh oh and yea most have to preserve the ANIMAL FAT with BHT, BHA and other cemicals. I want to scream in their ear LEAVE THE ANIMAL FAT OUT!

8. mary,tx

I assumed it was milk fat, but you may be right.
    When looking for replacer for kids, you want replacer for kids, not one marketed for all babies. Whole milk is also a good alternative.
    mary

9. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Most kids can be weaned at two months (I like to feed milk a little longer than that, but when short on milk, they get weaned at eight weeks). You could start cutting back on the milk replacer, and make sure she's getting plenty of other feed, and have her weaned in a couple of weeks. If she got a good start of several weeks of real milk, then a couple of weeks of replacer as PART of her diet won't hurt her -- but I'd get her off of it as soon as possible. And trob1 is right about the animal fat -- that's not good for vegetarian animals.

Kathleen

10. Spinner

Thanks for all the replys. Chops is chopped up corn here too. I won't buy any more milk replacer. I found a gallon of whole milk in the freezer that was buried and I forgot I had it. It's dated June 10th so should still be good. I'll go back to the recipe I used in the beginning with the yogurt, buttermilk, whole milk, etc. She is eating greens, just not a lot yet. If I slowly cut back on the milk, she should slowly eat more greens. Hopefully she'll be weaned in 2 or 3 weeks. Hopefully all my future kids will be raised by their mama's. It's nerve wracking to worry about the baby all the time. I worry if she's getting enough to eat, if I'm giving her the right food, if she needs more or less of it. Seems like I'm constantly second guessing every decision I make for her.