milk replacer question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MamaDee, May 31, 2006.

1. MamaDee

MamaDee Well-Known Member

Hi!

O.K., I've been reading archives about replacers and am officially scared!

We brought home two doe kids yesterday (ages 4 and 5 weeks). They were on half raw goat's milk/half goat milk replacer. Doing fine.

We buy raw goat's milk so I am mixing it half and half with the replacer she gave me to take home with them (which there isn't alot left of). But....the only replacer my husband could find to buy around here is calf replacer. I'd heard not to use that because the fat content isn't high enough. But I compared the two bags and they are both the same--20 percent. Protein content is the same also. Should we not use this stuff? I don't want them to get scours.

Today they had 1/4 of her goat replacer--1/4 of my calf replacer--and 1/2 raw goat's milk. They drank it right up....but I'm afraid what will happen after a couple of days on it after what I've read.

Help! Anyone know about this?

Thanks,

Dee

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Part of the problem with the replacers is the *type* of fat they use. However, as long as you can mix half and half with raw goat milk you should be fine. Or, you can even mix half and half with for-human-consumption powdered milk (low in fat, but mixed with the goat milk it would be acceptable).

Kathleen

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

What many, many people who raise show goats use is plain ol' store bought whole cows milk, just like people drink. I had no trouble switching my bottle babies straight to it without them getting diarrhea at all. They are thriving. I never use any type of powdered milk replacer. I measure it out into a bowl, stick in the microwave and warm it a bit, pour it into the bottles. I just make sure it's not too hot. better too cool than too hot!

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Calf replacer isn't good. You've already read about the effects of the kid milk replacer. The babies I raised on cow's milk from the store are three months old and thriving. They are almost as big as the 6 to 7 months old that I raised on milk replacer and they scoured and had cocci and pnuemonia and you name it...and the three Nigerian Dwarf babies that are on their mama and are almost 3 months old...they are really doing the best of all in terms of health, vitality and growth.
    I need to go to bed. Night all!