Milk question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by 6e, Jul 6, 2006.

1. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

At what temperature do you take milk to pasturize it and how long do you hold it at that temperature? :shrug:
    Thanks.

2. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

The method that I prefer is 165 degrees for 15 seconds. I use a pasteurizer but this can also be done in a double boiler. The key is to not try and achieve this temp too quickly. The milk will have a cooked taste and might even scorch if the temp is raised too fast.

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I stir and take it off the heat as soon as it hits 165. I use a probe thermometer picked up at the grocery store.

When you take it off the heat, you must chill it fast. I put the pan right into a sink of ice water, and stir it occassionally. After it's chilled down to the 60-80 degree range, I pour it up and put it in the freezer for maybe an hour before it goes to the fridge.

mary

4. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I have a pot that fits inside another pot. Add a trivet to the bottom pot and fill it with water to the bottm of said trivet. Put the larger pot inside and add the milk. It creates a nifty and easy double boiler for me - two gallons at a time. Takes about ten to fifteen minutes to get it heated up, hold it for 15 second and then take it out and put said pot into the sink with icy-cold water (note: don't use glass jars to cool it...they won't last more then the 2 seconds it takes for the bottoms to break out! Ask me how I know. :bash: ).

Stir the cold water around the pot with one hand while the other stirs the milk (ummm...said hand holding a sterilized spoon which is in the milk). It takes about ten minutes to get the temperature down, changing the water as it warms up. Adding a frozen pop bottles cools it down fast, too.

So those are the "rules of thumb" - heat it up slowly, but cool it down fast.

Sarah

5. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

I have another question for you. I just started milking these two goats, I've been letting their babies nurse the last month and a half as I just haven't felt like milking them. Anyway, I had a terrible time getting their milk to let down and then their teats were so small that I had more milk running down my arm because they didn't reach past the palm of my hand. Do their teats get larger as you milk them? And how do you get the milk to let down? My two does were half way through their grain by the time I got the milk going and since I'm a very slow milker, they had a lot of milk left when they were finished eating and then there was no way they were going to stand there any more. I guess I need goat milking school!

6. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Nah - you don't need milking school, just patience. :) The goats are holding back their milk from you because you're "stealing" it from their babies. In time they'll get over it and allow you to take more. Yes, the teats get larger the longer you milk and the more milk that collects in the udder - the pressure is what stretches them out.

Are the babies still on Mom? Try separating them away at night and milking first thing in the morning. Then put Mom back in with them and let them have the milk all day and you get the morning milk. The kids are probably keeping the udder emptied out so the teats don't stretch as much as they could.

Patience and time. Time and patience. (I had one goat that took a full month to quit being obnoxious on the stand - the day after I threatened her with freezer camp she stood still for me and gave me her milk).

Sarah