Milk question

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by SouthWesteader, Dec 4, 2005.

1. SouthWesteader

SouthWesteader Gardener

How much milk does a good producing dairy cow produce? I read 200 somewhere, but I wanted to know from you guys.

Thanks!

John

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Milk output is typically measured in hundred weights, as that is how dairy farmers are paid. From a www.google.com search on dairy cow lactation period:

The Vegetarian Society UK - Information Sheet - Cattle
    Cows have a 6 to 8 week period between lactation ceasing and their next ...
    A typical dairy cow produces between 5000 and 6000 litres of milk a year and ...
    www.vegsoc.org/info/cattle.html - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

NCDA&CS - Kid's World - Barnyard Palace - Dairy Cow Barn
    Dairy Cow. What this species produces:. Milk (up to 130 lbs. per day at peak
    levels, 70-80 lbs/day average over the lactation period) and milk products used ...
    www.agr.state.nc.us/cyber/ kidswrld/general/barnyard/dairybn.htm - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

Thus, if you use a gallon at 11 pounds, average output would be about seven gallons a day for 300 days. Of course, using BST makes these figures fairly unuseable.

3. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

Milk weighs 8.4 pounds per gallon. An average cow gives about 20,000 pounds in a lactation, which breaks down to 65 ounds a day, or about 8 gallons a day. Record setting cows can milk three times that, and there are plenty of bums that don't make the average. The goal for a dairy cow is to milk for ten months and have a calf every twelve months. I have read of cows that have milked for ten years with just one calving, but at the dairy I work at, after milking for three years, a cow usually goes below a profitable level of production if they don't calve.

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

The production of 200lbs a day is a record as far as production goes, and there are factors involved. Was there hormones used, how long did she last? The 365 day record is 275lbs I beleive.

However that is not the norm, holsteins can give 100lbs a day at first, then slowly slack off, some settle in at about 80lbs, some 75, some 65. It depends on the genetics of the animal, body capacity, how much grain fed etc etc. Jerseys are different and their average milk production is lower than a holstein, however if compared to any other breed. A Jersey produces more milk per lbs of body weight compared to other breeds. They have the ability to convert feed to milk at a higher rate than other breeds. Holsteins have a lot of maintainence that is needed to keep them going. So their feed tends to go towards maintainence as well as production. Jerseys conversion of feed goes more towards production, vs maintainence. A lot of that has to do with the fact Jerseys aren't as big bodied. Brown swiss can produce similar amount as holsteins, but tend to average around 20,000lbs or so. As I mentioned, it can highly depend on the feed, and the genetics. As mentioned before 65lbs a day is the average for holsteins, Jerseys is closer to 58lbs for higher production animals, and 48 for lower production animals. Average production can be relative considering the enviornment, feed quality, and other factors.

Edit: 100/cwt means 100 weight, C is the roman numeral for 100. Wt is well weight ;).

Jeff

5. SouthWesteader

SouthWesteader Gardener