Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sundae's buckling is now eight days old. Sundae had a very large, tight udder, but this morning we noticed it was very small and squishy. She will not let us milk her (she was letting us before) and walks away sometimes when her kid tries to nurse, which she never did before. Now, it's the middle of the day and I didn't get a good look at her udder, but as of a couple hours ago it was the same as this morning. What could cause this, and why doesn't she like people touching her udder/teats now?
Thanks
GoatGirl

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If the baby has a really full tummy, I would guess he has just gotten his appetite and figured things out. Newborns are usually lethargic the first week or so. They get what they need in colostrum and don't eat much. Then growth and appetite kick in the second week. She might have been full and tight because he wasn't eating much and now she's empty because he's just chowed down. Does don't like to be messed with when they're empty, its not pleasant to be dry milked. The supply and demand will even out. If her udder does not feel hot or lump, I wouldn't worry too much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts