milk production down in the heat

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Marjorie Dickso, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Marjorie Dickso

Marjorie Dickso Well-Known Member

Hi, my cows have a nice large pasture. With the heat tho, they are really down in production. What do you folks do? Go ahead and dry them off? Feed them more grain? Thanks for your suggestions and replys

2. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

:) Hi MArjorie!!!!
    This heat is horrible on everything...My chickens...what I got left...about 20 are giving maybe 8 eggs daily...
    Matt's asleeping but I will ask him when he wakes up-he still isn't doing real good...heat is hard on him although he doesn't go out much...
    Seems to me like he use to increase Ms. Ellie's dairy feed and alittle more alfalfa pellets..I will check back when I ask him...Give Ellie my love and tell her I haven't drunk a glass of milk since she left...Take care...MissKitty

3. Marjorie Dickso

Marjorie Dickso Well-Known Member

Hi Ms. Kitty. Sorry to hear about Matt. I do hope cool weather comes and he feels a lot better.
    I was getting 2 gallons of milk from her, now not even a gallon. I have slowly increased her feed. I had the problem last winter of over feeding and believe that made hooves grow out too much. I did find inflations the will allow me to milk all 4 of Ellies "handles" at once. I tried feeding an apple to her...she refused. She must want a special type?

I was thinking that feed (grain) causes heat, and didn't want to increase much because of that. The pasture still looks good so maybe they are hiding under a tree and not eating much. She does take a dunk in the pond on the way to the barn.

I was feeding 6 calves plus selling some milk. I weaned the older 3 and am now having a hard time getting enough milk for the other 3. We give them 2 bottles each. I milk 4 cows. May just have to dry them up and wait for 2 others to calve in Sept.

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

The best way to combat it, is to not expect a lot of milk in the evening, but feed so they produce more during the morning. Since the nights are cool, they will eat a lot during the night to make up for the day. My production is more in the AM, and depending how well they ate, sometimes the PM. Wed evening their production seemed fine, full bags. The day before, not as much. Depends on the animal, depends how they eat in it too. I kept mine in during the last couple of days, with a fan. They seemed to do fine, except for the couple that are bothered by the heat more than others. A quick soak under the hose seems to relax them.

Jeff

5. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

Well finally got things settled down enough to ask MAtt a few questions...
    He said it sounded like she wasn't drinking much water...We watered her with city water...she never drank well water...also he said what I related about the feed was what he would recommend....I always cut the apple in half and she gobbled it down...Let me hear how things are going...MissKitty