Milk Price

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lijj, Aug 2, 2006.

1. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

How much do you sell your milk for? Do you sell it by the gallon? And all my milk is frozen; should I unfreeze it right before I sell it and pour it into gallon jugs? It's unpasteurized, and I might be selling it to my friend's father who is going to make cheese out of it. Is it ok that it's unpasteurized to make cheese?

2. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I would suggest the realmilk.com website and some more research on unpasteurized milk and products made from them. The reason why is that it really is a personal decision, with people on both ends of the spectrum. Also that website will tell you if it is legal to sell in your state. Then you have to decide if you care about that.

That said, my family has been drinking raw goat's milk, and making raw goat cheese for three years with only good effects. We do not care to drink the milk that we 'accidently' freeze - when I forget it in the freezer. It doesn't taste as nice as the fresh to us. Don't know if it would matter in cheese making or not, as we haven't done that. We feed the milk we don't drink to pigs, our dog, chickens, etc.

I don't sell milk, but know people who do - it sells for $10 a gallon here. Walmart sells it for close to $14 a gallon, by the quart. So ten dollars is a good deal, as it is fresh and unpasteurized, and tastes wonderful. The stuff at the store is gross.

niki

3. silvergirl

silvergirl Well-Known Member

In this area (NC) goat's milk sells for just over $3.00 a quart, whether it is at the grocer's or the health food store. My family drinks raw goat's milk and I make cheese from the raw milk but most cheese recipes call for at least low heat pasteurization. Check out info on pasteurizing at www.cheesemaking.com - very comprehensive - gives temperatures, times, different methods and the why and why nots about pasteurizing.

4. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

NO you let the buyer thaw it. Sell it either fresh or frozen but don't unthaw for someone else. Tell them to thaw it in the frig if using for drinking and to use the blender or stick blender to get the fat molecules back into the milk or else it will feel grainy. If this guy is using it for cheese then he has to heat it anyway so not a problem with him unthawing it.

5. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

Bw careful there Silver girl :) " In this area (NC) goat's milk sells for just over $3.00 a quart" Becuase of this :(
    North Carolina :
    The sale or dispensing of raw milk for human consumption is illegal. This ban extends to cow share agreements or to any other contractual arrangement or exchange.

State law does permit farmers to "dispense" raw milk and raw milk products for animal feed.
    Some laws are just to crazy in my opinion.

BP