Milk Meters

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Mar 19, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Does anyone know of any milk meters that can use a computer to log the "data"? Would be handy, and a nice "automated" system. I know there are loggers for a lot of things out there, curious if there are any computer logged milk meters.

Jeff

2. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Jeff,
    The type of system you are talking about is common in some of the parlor systems, where the cow might have a an electronic collar. Her milk weight is read and inputted into a computer system. Some of the first automated feeding systems use electronic/magnetic collars to customize feed amounts to cows using a system that had the cow's milk production and days in milk. For your bucket milker system, I don't know of an electronic system that is compatible and would likely be quite expensive to add-on for you.

Here's a solution that is much more cost-effective. Fabricate a metal cart with wheels and a hangman beam: e.g.
    ......................____
    .....................|.....|
    ..........|......... |
    ..........|______|
    ...........O.......O

You can hang a milk scale (like a 60 lb. scale) off this and weigh the bucket before you dump it into the transfer (what you call the dumping station). keep a piece of plywood on this cart with a spreadsheet table where you can pencil in the cow's milk weight each milking. Then you can go enter it in a spread sheet on your computer.

Obviously, you'll want to counter-weight this so it won't tip when you hang a full bucket it to weigh, but you could use this when the milk tester is there as well. They have to have some place to put their sample bottles and record the weights on the test sheet.

A much cheaper way to collect your information, and it should work even for organic milk. (Just kidding.)

Edited so my beautiful little drawing would keep its shape. I really should have been an artist.

3. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

I believe surge Westphalia has a meter/ takeoff for stall barns. However I like the hanging scale idea. Just one modification would be to have a hanginscale attached to the beam in the barn, Since you probably will leave the transfer in one spot (ie by cow8 of 17) this would be where the scale could be. Your alleys were a little narrow if I remember right. Plus you;ll find that the counter balance cart might be difficult to move or find how unlevel the walk is. My scale hangs on a chain from the litter carrier rail. When not in use i hang it up , also works for adding mixing feedstuff.

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Actually organic milk weighs 8.7lbs, k bad attempt ;). Either way, funny you mention the scale, I was going to use floor scales but this would work much better. What I need to find, for a frame is what my feed cart is made of. That holds a lot of lbage. That frame is stable, and fits down the walk ways w/o a problem. Onlything different would have to be the height. The bar you mention could be centered, so it wouldn't tip. I can always have one made, similar frame or find one. Those hanging scales can be calibrated to compensate for the bucket weight, or atleast find one that can. That type of cart frame would allow for the motor/balence tank/ etc to be on the same cart. We use a hanging scale to measure out the Jersey's grain ration.

Thanks again,

Jeff