Milk goats:

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Maranman, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Maranman

Maranman Well-Known Member

What can anybody tell me about the kinder goat ?Are thay milk goats?Does their milk have an off flavor?What kind and size are they?Any in Ms.?

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I think the kinder goat is a cross between a nubian, and a pygmy. For smaller easier handling and less milk for the smaller family. The milk should taste fine! If you want them you can create your own, get a nub doe and breed her to a pygmy buck.

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the Kinder goat website? It's at http://members.aol.com/KGBAssn/

Kinders size averages about in the middle between their Pygmy and Nubian ancestors. I have one little doe who looks like she's going to take more after the pygmy side of the family, and some will take a little more after the Nubian side, but what you would want to breed for is something in the middle. The dwarf goats are pretty low to the ground for milking, while the Kinders are just tall enough to clear the half-moon goat milking pail. (Or you could use a stainless steel bowl from the kitchen.)

Their milk is absolutely the best of any breed that I've tasted, and I've had, and milked, almost all of the standard-sized breeds over the last 21 years. It is very rich, and very sweet.

They are considered a dual-purpose goat, for both milk and meat. You won't get two gallons a day out of a Kinder goat, but you should get at least two quarts, and could get three times that (one of the Kinder breed record holders has had some 12+ lb. days). They have a meatier carcass than the straight dairy breeds, and grow quickly, especially if you give them the rich Kinder milk. My does have been selected to be easy milkers -- an important consideration for me, as I hand-milk and have carpal tunnel. Kinders also will breed all year round, so it should be pretty easy to breed two or three does with staggered kidding dates, so you can have milk year-round. I've also found that they have good long lactations.

You can start your own line, if you want. You'll need two registered Pygmy bucks, and at least two registered Nubian does, for seed stock. But there are quite a few Kinder breeders now, and if you just want to buy some Kinders, there should be several breeders not too far from you. There's a list of breeders on the Kinder website, and there is also a yahoogroups list for Kinder breeders at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KinderGoats/?yguid=109437082 Someone there might be able to help you find what you are looking for. If all else fails, it is possible to ship from anywhere in the country.

Kathleen

4. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Ah one of my favorite subjects :)

I think the basics have been pretty much covered. Kinders are very much a dual purpose goat with good milk production and also decent for meat.

This is the first year we are going to be tracking the rate of growth on our Kinders but I'm expecting it to be very good, especially for the first 6-8 months and that is the age many of the people who've inquired about meat goats like them.

If you check the Kinderg Breeders Association site it appears there is one breeder listed for MS.

Good luck finding your Kinders!