Milk goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mennonite girl, May 3, 2006.

1. mennonite girl

mennonite girl Active Member

I am currently on 1/2 an acre we have 24 chickens, three rabbits and a german shepherd. I am looking to get a milk goat. What would be the best breed for what I have to work with? We still have a large amount of space. We have 8 fruit trees, 4 blueberry bushes and a large garden. Are there mini dairy goats and if so about how big do they get?

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

There are mini-dairy goats, lots of them! :)

You have a choice of:

Nigerian Dwarf, which is quite small, may be a little short to put a milk pail under, and can give a quart or two of milk per day;

Mini-Nubian, Mini-LaMancha, Mini-Alpine, etc., which are all derived from standard sized dairy goats crossed with the Nigerian Dwarf, can be pretty good milkers, and ought to be big enough to get a milk pail under,

and my favorite, Kinder goats. Kinders are derived from a cross of a registered Pygmy buck on a registered Nubian doe. They are dual purpose goats, good for both meat and milk. Most breeders seem to be breeding for easy-to-milk teats. They are mid-sized between Pygmies and Nubians, stocky, fast-growing, easy keepers, prone to have lots of babies (quads and more are common), and are generally really nice goats. For more information you can go to the Kinder Goat Breeders Association website at http://members.aol.com/KGBAssn/ , and also see the article at http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/sanderson95.html .

One thing that may help you in making a decision, is that you will want to have a buck of the same breed nearby, so you won't have to keep one of your own.

Hope this helps,

Kathleen

P.S. Be aware that if you get *A* goat, you'll need to get *TWO* goats -- they don't do well by themselves. They'll sit in their pen and scream unless you stay with them 24 hours a day!

3. Doeseatoats

Doeseatoats Active Member

I agree with Kathleen, Something elese you need to be aware of is that goats browsers. They like their feed 18 inchs off the ground like deer. The bushes and trees will be in a target so you need to have them protected or they will eat them. :)

I have heard the best grass eating goat is a toggenburg.
    Go on the net and research dairy goats there is one out there for everyone....Linda

4. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member