Milk goat not eating

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Maureen, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Maureen

Maureen Member

My doe (mini-mancha) seems just not interested in any food for the past day...this morning also.. No oats, no goat chow, nothing. She will eat corn if I hand feed it to her, but not with any real interest.
    Everything else seems fine...temp, droppings, etc...seem normal. While out yesterday she was running and playing with my other doe, just not eating. Milk has dropped, but then little going in so little milk.
    Weather has been rather wet/cold last two days, but she has shelter to keep out of it. She was damp yesterday afternoon, and seemed to be shivering ..so I put a vest on her and that seemed to warm her right up.
    Any ideas of what maybe wrong....or what I can do...
    The others (ND) are not acting any different...chow hounds that they are.
    Any help/ideas appreciated.
    Maureen

2. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Since no one else has responded, thought I'd give my $.02 worth. Some of my goats do this "off feed thing" too. I dewormed first...waited a few days...still no appetite. It took about a week for the increase in eating, all the while they would eat only hay. Not sure if parasites would cause them to not eat grains but maybe. Can you get a fecal test done? Now the other thing is that the breeding season has started. Has she been bred yet this fall? I just had two calm does get the shivers all over, acting very nervous (PMS?) I wrote these symptoms down on the calendar, then will check in 21 days to see if the doe comes into heat. Some goats have extreme heat periods (very noisy, swelling, tail wagging, discharge) and some have silent ones. Maybe your doe is showing signs of silent heat. Of course there could be something else going on. Ideas anyone?

Nappy

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The first thing you should do is make sure she is chewing her cud. You do not want a doe eating grain when she is not feeling well. Browse, her favorite leaves, good quality clean hay, a snack should be something very high in roughage, blackoil sunflower seeds, alfalfa pellets etc. Probios, everyone should keep a tube of this in the fridge, it's always your first line of defense, repopulate the rumen with beneficial bacteria, and figure out why she depopulated in the first place. A recent worming, a change in diet, roughhousing dislodging her cud, and older doe with dental points on her molars....

Temperature?

What do her gums and eyelids look like compared to her herdmates? Blood red, pink, grey?

And yes, I have a doe who also gets pretty hungry looking (well for my none to sevelt gals) when she is in heat, she spends so much time screaming at the fence she must miss meals, she milks poorly because of the loss of roughage eating, even standing at the fence to scream rather than go with the herd out into the woods, and also won't take time to eat on the milkstand during milking, she likely is not getting enough water either, but she perks up about 36 hours later. Thankfully she was bred today :) Vicki

4. Maureen

Maureen Member

Thank you both for your advise!
    We are new to goats and this is 'our baby'...so we were perhaps overly concerned.
    Our buck has been worrying her, singing away, chasing her and being just a bother to her...so perhaps that is part of the problem.
    After 48 hours of her not wanting anything....just nibbling at hay and leaves..totally refusing grain...last evening I mixed some sunflower seed with her grain and she ate that.
    This morning, she's all back to normal..waiting on her milkstand, hollering for food, eating with her normal gusto!
    I will be having fecals done for everyone as soon as possible (I'll call Monday for appointment) and will be purchasing Probios also to have on hand.
    Thank you again for your replies...I was so concerned for her, just knowing sometimes a goat might not wish her food (for whatever reason) sure helped my worry...that's not in the books.
    Maureen