Milk Filters

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I normally use the 6 1/2 inch Isotropic milk filters. They are $3.95 a box of 100 if you buy 3 or more boxes. I only have enough filters for 2 more weeks so I need to get some more. I was wondering if you can use coffee filters to filter your milk? I can get a sack of 100 for $1.00 at Brookshires right now. I also thought about washing my isotropic milk filters in bleach water and reusing them, but DH said he doesn't think that is a good idea. Anybody have any ideas about economical way to filter your goats milk?
    Next spring I'll have 5 Alpines in milk so probably close to 5 gallons twice a day to filter.

2. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I tried using coffee filters instead of milk filters for the same reason- cheaper! But it takes FOREVER for the milk to run through a coffee filter- it's designed to let a liquid drip slowly through it. You have to pour a couple ounces, wait while that drips out drop by drop, pour in another cup...
    Milk filters are cheaper here- 100 KenAg 6" are $2.79 at Fleet Farm.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I use coffee filters but I only filter about a quart a day....the rest gets fed to animals so i dont bother to filter....I dont get too much gunk in the milk pail usually. A nice tight cheesecloth or old sheet fabric washed in bleach and water and rinsed well might work.

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I don't know if it would work or not, but the permanent type coffee filters have a metal screen that allows liquid to drain faster.

Or maybe you could rig something up with cheesecloth?

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I used coffee filoters, yes, they were slow, and my milk tasted funny. the milk filters are the best. I get them at the farm store. which remoinds me, I am very low, I need to get some more.

6. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Milking Mom, even if you filtered 5 gallons in one sitting, wouldn't you still use only one filter?? how many do you go through a day??
    My DH bought me two boxes from Hoeggers when I first got my goats and I still haven't gone through the first box.. yea, I only milk once a day though...

7. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I tried coffee filters a long time ago, too, and they don't work very well for milk. I use milk filters now, try to buy a year's supply at a time. But, in an emergency I would use a thin cloth, such as white muslin. I would clean it thoroughly and bleach it between uses. Right now all our milk is going into kefir, and I think the fermenting process the kefir undergoes also kills most of the bad germs, as it seems to keep just about forever. That's one reason I like to keep a kefir jar or two going.

Kathleen

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Could you describe kefir, how it tastes, and how to get it going. I've heard it has health benefits? What do you use it for is it just a drink?

9. debitaber

I use two filters a day, one each milking. I just keep pouring until I have it filtered.

10. debitaber

I have done 5 gals, many times , and yes, I just use one. Oh every once in a great while, I haveused two. but most of the time, just once.

11. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I use regular milk filters also, but towards the end of my girls lactation (nubian)their milk is less watery and does not filter as well. Sometimes rather than get another filter out, I leave it in my strainer and run warm water through it backwards, then turn it over and run some more warm water through the other side. This usually will help finish up the job. It seems a waste to have to put on a new filter when I may like only a pint or so of milk that just doesn't want to go through. ;)

12. RainesRanch

RainesRanch Member

I have always used coffe filters LOL The milk has never tasted funny or anything. I buy the cheap off brand at Walmart, maybe thats why it filters through ok, they're too cheap for coffee!! LOL Anyhow, I havent had much trouble, except maybe when my girls through lots of cream during their peak times. Then it takes a little longer. But then, I use a stainless steal vegetable streamer to strain in also (not a reg. milk strainer)! Maybe thats the diffrence!!

13. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Since I machine milk, it's seldom that I find anything to filter, although I do it. I use butter muslin from Wallmart, drop the used cloths in a weak bleach solution to soak, at the end of the week I was them all in bleach water with hot water in the washing machine. I don't have the time nor the patience to use a coffee filter, milking 12 last year, and 20 in March.

Clippping udders and bellies, and having a really good milking routine that is used every milking really helps. Vicki Vicki

14. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

Kifer tastes a bit like butter milk or sour milk, some people love it some hate it but It is really good for you. To learn all you want to know about kifer go to a Dom's kifer in-site at

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

If you think this is something you would like to try and want to star your own culture let me know and I can mail you some kifer grains.

15. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Hey, I'd like to have some of those kefir grains. I have been reading all about it at that link. I don't know if I will like the taste, but I'll just choke it down anyway. :haha: My grandma likes buttermilk, so I know she will.

16. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

This last season I used a permanant coffee filter with 4 thicknesses of cheeze cloth. Stuff gets through it if you just use the coffee filter. I think I am going to buy the strainer and filters from hoagers or what ever they are called.
    The little one that fits into a quart jar. I put my milk up in those anyway. The filters for the mini strainer come in a pack of 200. Or was that 300? anyway they should last me a while.

17. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Every one that i know around here uses white bounty papertowels to filter their milk with. I use a stainless steel mesh caulender with the paper towel layed into it and just pour it. I have never had any problems with anything. We were milking only 2 though. It works really well. I have used scott papertowels and they work but i prefer Bounty...only the white one though.

Belinda