Milk Fed Freemartin--Baby Beef?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Jennifer L., Jan 20, 2007.

1. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I had my freemartin butchered two weeks ago and just got the meat back the other day. She never was weaned, and sucked a cow up until about three weeks before butchering. She was over a year and a half old and dressed out at #620.

She had a lot of fat in her, and the fat is on the yellow side--she was a Holstein. The meat is the tenderest I've ever raised, probably the tenderest I've ever eaten. The flip side is, it's the not the tastiest meat, which is ok since I like to dress meat up, anyway.

I figure it's the milk that caused all three things, the tenderness, the fat colour, and the not such a "beefy" flavour.

Has anyone else ever had a milk raised beef, or has anyone had what seemed to be popular a few years ago, baby beef? I'm wondering about comparisons to my heifer.

Jennifer

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds to me like the meat is somewhere between beef and veal. What color is the meat?

3. Jennifer L.

It's red like regular beef, with a lot of marbling. Doesn't strike me anything like veal at all. It simply doesn't have a strong beef flavour. She was raised on pasture, hay, and milk.

Jennifer

4. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

perhaps not aged long enough, i know they had it 2 weeks, but did it hang to age or did it just get frozen imediately

5. Jennifer L.

I can never get this guy to hang more than a week, sometimes it's less than that. He's a busy place and doesn't have the room to hang very long. Have never had a cow like this one yet. I'm fairly certain it's the high milk content but was wondering if anyone else had had a milk fed beef before.

Jennifer

6. pyrobear

pyrobear Well-Known Member

to bad your not in oh cuss we hang are beef for 14 days