milk cow problem??

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by mtn_gin, Dec 10, 2006.

1. mtn_gin

mtn_gin Active Member

My little milk cow had a calf about 3 months back and she has not done very good since. The problem now is that one of her back teats is getting hard and the milk is looking thick and lumpy. The other teats is still doing good. We have been keeping the milk but now I am wondering what would be the best thing to do.

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Sounds like mastitis. If it is coming out in chunks, that is mastitis. I would have her treated as soon as you can, so she can get back on track. Moxymast is what we used on a jersey that had chunks coming out of her front right quarter. It did clear up, however she is still high Somatic Cell (400k). Working currently with this stuff meant for helping with mastitis. Cant think of the name at the moment, but others have used it with good results.

Either way, if you have a vet, have he/she come and look at her, and get her treated. Chances are the way she has been acting (ill), is because of the mastitis. Remember, when they do a Somatic Cell Count test, it is to measure the amount of white blood cells in the milk. She is likely shedding a extremely large amount of white blood cells, which does strain her system. When our jersey did have mastitis, she didn't act well. So give the vet a call.

Jeff

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Two assumptions: Milk is for your own use. Calf is being raised separate. If so can you milk out the other three quarters and let the calf nurse out the one in question?

4. Milkwitch

Milkwitch Well-Known Member

I'm with Jeff sounds very much like mastitis, is imprortant to get treatment soon!

5. cindy04

cindy04 Well-Known Member

Go to www.real-food.com right now. These folks are the pros, and already have hundreds of posts on this subject.

6. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

we have cured mastitis many times without antibiotics by milking the one quarter out every couple hours for a couple weeks

7. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

I'd do like Ken mentioned and try and put the calf on her for that one teat. That should clear it up, if not, then try the treatment.

Carol

8. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

The calf isn't going to want the milk from that quarter, and I wouldn't force it to eat it. A hard quarter with clumped milk is not going to respond very well to an infusion into the quarter, since the circulation is impaired. If you want to save the quarter, then infuse the quarter with mastitis treatment as well as IM her with an antibiotic. Remember that you shouldn't use the milk (calf can drink it ok) for the time it says on the label to throw the milk.

If you treat the cow and the quarter doesn't respond well, just dry the quarter off and let her be a three quartered cow.

How well she comes around to the treatment depends on the bacteria in her udder, so if you do get the vet to treat her, spend a little more and get the milk cultured so you know what you are dealing with. This will help with treatment that you may do later. The vet will no doubt have their own favourite treatment.

Hope you see some improvement with her.

Jennifer