Milk cow ILL.

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by goldspur, Oct 17, 2005.

1. goldspur

goldspur Well-Known Member

Have 9 yr old brown swiss cow, freshed 12 weeks ago, has been also taking extra calf and doing well,with plenty of milk. noticed sunday she did not want her grain and milk was down, all day she did not eat, layed down got up, she eats dry hay good quality and gets some alfalfa, but not to much, excess to abundent fresh water, grain ground oats and corn at milking time. ears lower than normal but eyes clear goes away from you if you croud her, let calf suck in am, but pulled both calf's on pm. only small bag, but milk has no blood in it, temp is normal, but heart rate is up, monday morn, cow up down, but note stool very scant and is brandywine color, some old blood and new blood in stool, urine dark also, but do not think she has drank all day either.Called vet, rectal exam done same black red stool around gloves, vet can hear bowel sounds, cow appears larger on lower right abdomen, she is not interested in food water or her bawling calf, no chewing of cud all day and can see she is having pain. Vet does not know what to think, hardware lodged somewhere, ? ulcer, does not think she twisted a gut or one of her 4 tummy's, tried charcole, sulfa,and anacid. Then la 200 IM. checked hay and no clover in it, has anyone ever seen this before, any advice. now I'll be bottle feeding and probally have 1 dead cow, our vet was not encouraging and exspects demise.Cow now lets you aroud her when up or down and does not try to go away, nose still wet and cool. Lord I hate losing one of gods creatures.Thanks Connie in SD.

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Connie as I'm no help either and have never come across this type of ailment. However, can understand how your feeling. Did the vet take any faecal, urine or blood samples. If not, get them to do so if you can afford the lab costs. They should have suggested this to you as a matter of course and should have been done straight away as most take several days. Wish I could offer more positive help.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

HAve you wormed her??? The vet needs to check for worms...Hope she gets okay...Our little heifer got snake bite and we are dealing with that now...It is hard to see them sick and hurting...MissKitty

4. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear it! I don't have any clues either but I've been where you are. A few years ago I lost my beloved Jersey to cancer not too long after she freshened. We had purchased two calves at auction to nurse off of her but she couldn't take them on in the state she was in. It is terrible to watch them go down like that and be helpless to do anything. The first vet out was quite stumped initially but the second did a check of her uterus which was apparently where the problem had occurred. Amazing that she was able to have the calf go full term and survive. I'd try a second opinion - you never know what might trigger a thought in another vet's mind.

5. Mama C

Mama C Well-Known Member

Do you know any dairy farmers?
    Its amazing what they know on their own.
    I had the same thing with mine a couple of years ago and it was a twisted stomach, I noticed that she started dropping weight like crazy and not eating, droopy ears. Of course these are all sick cow things anyway. But to me the timing is almost right for a twisted stomach, was it a big calf?
    If you have a stethescope(sp) do you know what to listen for? like tapping a basketball kind of ping, I think. I know your vet checked, but its just so familiar sounding to me. Maybe a second opinion?

6. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

Did the vet check both sides for displacements?

Hardware disease- if that's it and she's this sick it must have done its damage. You can try a magnet but if its exited the stomach it could be into her organs. If she's not improving and getting worse I would have her put down and get a necropsy on it. If you want to spend the money get an exploratory surgery done on her to see what's going on- I know someone whose cow died horribly after eating a plastic bag. It got stuck in the intestines and killed her.

7. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

I would go with the possible DA on either side, you'll hear a metalic ping or sounds like a glass ballon, could be ulcer or obstruction. Try drenching her with something for energy, ie brown sugar, kyro syrup or keto gels. Can IV with dextrose, b vits. Give banamine for the pain. Possiblely dexmethasone ( steriod) to help her. Very puzzling indeed, try anotherr vet if possible. Good Luck

8. goldspur

goldspur Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone who replied, but Bossy is in a better home now, her calf Buttercup along with Cinnamon have started the bottle and the pail. Bossy had a perforation of the gut, hardware. looked like wire, had probally been there for a long time, and finally wore through. Thanks Connie in SD

9. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Goes to show you how silent hardware can be, and it has sooo many other similar symptoms, it can appear to be anything.

Sorry for your loss, it sucks when that stuff happens. With those calves, put magnets in therewhen they turn breeding age, too young is not good, so now is not the time. All of my animals I am putting magnets in, my 5 Jerseys lack, and 4 holsteins lack magnets. They are inexpensive, and do help.

Jeff