milk cow died

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by AR Transplant, Jan 16, 2005.

1. AR Transplant

AR Transplant Well-Known Member

Hello, because of the new year and new responsibilities, I have not been able to spend much time on the computer.

I just wanted to post that my beloved Isabella was found dead this afternoon when we got home from church.

She was fine this morning when we left at about 9:30. We got home shortly after 1:00 and she didn't come when I called for her.

We found her about two thirds down in the field. Her belly is bloated and it looks as if she was trying to deliver her calf. She was bleeding from both places.
    Her calf was not due until the end of March.

I am sick about it. Her baby born last May is a full jersey heifer, but I am not sure that I want to make another go at it. Perhaps it takes more experience than I have to own a milk cow.

But, Isabella was a real joy to have when I had her.

Thanks,

Arkansas Transplant

2. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I sure am sorry to hear of your loss. Whenever I get to feeling that I'm having a run of bad luck, or get a bit uppitty because I'm having a run of good luck I remind myself that "It rains on the just and the unjust." It isn't me all of the time; it's Karma.

There are two facts about homesteading that no one can change:
    1. Animals die in spite of our best efforts.
    2. You can't change fact number one.

I hope to hear that you find another cow that will give you as much pleasure.

3. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear about your cow. I'll never get used to it, but if you own cattle, it just happens.

4. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss. Don't give up though, take the situation and try and learn something from it for your other cow. When you feel up to it, try and think what may have caused the bloat, maybe feed, some sort of toxic plant, it may help you to understand why this happened, and to prevent it happening again. Losing any animal is very tough to deal with, my heart goes out to you and your family,

Carol K

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Sorry to hear, nothing like loosing a pet. One of our Jerseys died, got down a hill, on her back. She died on my birthday, sucked but life does go on. She was getting weak, and older, and it all added up. We have a cow in the barn ATM, with a cracked hoof, jabbed it by a hay rack. I think she will be fine, I hope, and will do most anything to keep her here. Sweet cow, and all, but we caught it at a good time. Got her in, soaked it, put some blue coat on to clean it. But farming aint a walk in the park sometimes, and when its going great, it goes beyond good. Whether its a full day of work, one thing after another, or some problems. When the good days come, it seems dull sometimes. But if I were you, don't give up, I hate it when people give up tooo easy. If I were you, get something stronger, get a dexter and keep her in an area that will reduce any issue on a hill. Cows that get down a hill, usually don't come back up that hill, what I mean is when they go down on their side.

Jeff

6. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

You have my condolences. I know what you're going through. I lost my Jersey, Dawnna, to Johne's in September. Her calf is almost certainly infected as well ...

Look on the bright side, you have a healthy heifer to continue Isabella's line. Don't sell yourself short on experience; cows die all the time at the commercial dairy where I work. :(

Bad things happen sometimes ... there is always risk in life. Having babies is risky, but I do believe cows enjoy being mommas ... especially when they can raise their calves.

You gave Isabella a good life, you don't have anything to be guilty over.

7. AR Transplant

Hey thanks for the kind words. I still hate looking outside, because I always was able to look outside and check where she was. Funny thing, I always yelled " Isabella " when I fed her, then her calf came with her. Now, I have to call for Isabella to get her calf to come. I started yelling both Sugar and Isabella so this one will learn her name. I sure didn't think that one out.

This is hard to believe, but it's the truth. I have been trying to get a hold of the lady who sold me Isabella since before Christmas. I wanted to see how much to charge for Sugar who I was planing to sell. This lady is very busy and I could never catch her. She lives about 30 miles away. Well, the day after Isabella died she called me and said that the Lord had me on her heart and how was the milking going? She had no idea that Isabella had died the day before.
    But the Lord knew that she was exactly the one that I needed to talk to.

Yes, that is a little thing, but it sure matters to me.

Thank you again for all your kind words, they do mean a lot.

Arkansas Transplant

8. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

sorry to hear of your lost..think i will have the same problem someday too toget my nurse cows in i call " bessie ".........for my milk cows calf i call "come on babies"...well bessie will be hard to replace but if you are sure you are going to sell sugar........let me know...kze142124@yahoo.com what state are you in?

9. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

I am also sorry for your loss, my parents just lost one of their registered angus heifers (they only had two) and they've been pretty bummed about it. I would also be interested in sugar, especially if you're in Arkansas. If you are please PM me, I've been looking for a young milk cow/heifer.

10. AR Transplant

Once again, thanks for your post.

For the time being, I won't be selling sugar. The lady I bought her from has offered to keep her at her place in the event I decide to AI her. She can't stay here if I don't want to breed her because we have a limousine (sp?) bull.

If I decide I need to sell her, or if she has a jersey heifer I will give you a shout.

Thank you very much,

Arkansas Transplant