Milk Before Freshening

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tango, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

My Alpine has bagged up and her udder is stretching. I think maybe I will have to express some milk to keep her from getting too uncomfortable or developing mastitis. Is this pre-freshening milk any good? Or should I give it to my pigs? Or to her? Does the colostrum come in after kidding or right now? She has no discharge yet and no other signs of kidding so I think she's just a good producer :confused: I hope. Thanks :)

2. How soon is she due?

Is her udder hot and hard and shiny? if so do milk her

I believe the onset of labor produces the colostrum, but if you do milk her before she kids you may want to freeze it to have on hand just for a worse case scenario. I wouldnt drink it and dont drink her milk for 5-7 days after kidding.

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

If you milk her before she is due you could potentionally induce labor. The nursing kids (and in this case you) releases pitocin (maybe some other tocin)and that encourages uteran contractions. The milk that is coming in should be colostrum as that is the first milk a pregnant mammal produces.
    I would urge against it. We do not pre-milk any of our Jersey cattle regardless of how much edema(swelling) she has. Nor would we premilk any of our does.
    After she kids be sure you keep her milked out and massage, massage, massage the udder to work the edema out.

We do not milk our does but do have dairy crosses.

4. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

tango,

I don't want to get the thread off topic (sorry) but have been wondering if you ever got your jersey and if so how do you like her?

mel-

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hi mel,
    No, I haven't. I can purchase one at the auction or on one of several dairy farms here so that isn't a problem but so far have not had the fencing in place. It probably won't be until next year when I can get our 2.5 acre pasture across the road fenced for her.

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thank you unegistered and dosthouhavemilk. I don't know when she's due exactly only that she was bred in later June or early July- she was part of a herd with one buck so the exact date was not known. I'm thinking around Thanksgiving when we have relatives, guests, and complicated schedules :rolleyes: in which case two weeks :)

7. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

It is not at all uncommon for them to start producing "milk" two weeks early. If you squirt out a few drops into your hand you might even notice it is not even colostrum yet, but a salty almost clear liquid.
    steff

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Aha! Thanks :) That would be it. and the time table puts her at Thanksgiving Day as I predicted :haha:

9. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Well then, that'll give you something to be thankful for, won't it?? some cute kids bouncing around in the barn, especially after all the lovely weather you've had this summer :no:
    Ahh, I can't wait to have kids in the barn again... :cool:

10. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I know the feeling. We have two first calf crossbred heifers due 11/30. However, our last *three* first calf heifers all calved six days before their due date...which would put these two on Thanksgiving Day. Add to that a cow (who generally calves early) and another first calf heifer both due 12/2 and we have a busy Thanksgiving Day week. :haha:

Here's hoping things go well with her and she has an easy delivery!

11. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right :) and thank you Stacy. You've just given me her name. In Spanish thank you is gracias- take away the "s" and you have gracia or grace, in English. Grace is my new Alpine doe :)

12. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks Roseanna :) Likewise with your ladies.