Milk Allergy in newborn?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Abouttime, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

Has anybody had a newborn with a milk allergy? What did you do if you were nursing other then abstain from dairy products? Can you recommend a source for finding out what products have dairy that aren't obvious?

Thanks

2. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time

3. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I had a brother who nearly died his first few weeks. He couldn't tolerate mother's milk, cow's milk, or formula. They finally tried goat's milk. It worked. He had no problem taking it in any amounts. He became the largest and strongest of us 4 boys.

4. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

Your doctor needs to handle this. A fairly common problem. We put them on soy formula. If the doctor has not done this, he isn't sure.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I am a little confused. Are YOU trying to abstain from milk to help the baby tolerate YOUR milk?

6. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

My son had problems with milk but it was because of the iron in it. We had to switch a low iron milk. For a while they had him on every different kind. Some babies with milk problems go to a soy formula or some go to goats milk. I have to say I have heard of reactions to formulas but never to a mother's own milk. Learn something new every day.
    Could be something you are eating other than dairy products. :shrug:

7. dale

dale Well-Known Member

Both of my daughters couldnt drink milk.
    They had to go on Prosobe Soy bean milk

dale

8. sewsilly

sewsilly Well-Known Member

I have had a child with a severe allergy to MY milk when I drank COW milk. If this is the problem that you're having, I'll be happy to discuss it with you if you pm me a phone number. Someone did the same for me and it saved both me and the kid! We nursed happily for 3 years, and the next two children had no such problem.

dawn

9. deb

deb Well-Known Member

You should ask your doctor about the problem because what appears as an allergy to us, may actually be very serious and life threatening (like the genetic disorder below)

Some Amish babies are born with an inherited disorder called Maple syrup urine disease (MSUD or Branched-Chain Ketoaciduria).

This genetic disorder in which the body does not break down amino acids which are important molecules that make up the various proteins for our bodies. The amino acids that cannot be broken down in MSUD are leucine, isoleucine, and valine (called branched chain amino acids or BCAAs). Some of the protein that we eat is used for growth and the remainder is used for energy.

In MSUD, the body cannot use the BCAAs for energy. Because they cannot be used, the BCAAs build up in the body and become toxic. This toxicity causes mental retardation, physical disabilities, and can lead to death. This condition is so-named because the urine of an affected person smells like maple syrup.

more info here:
    http://www.madisonsfoundation.org/content/3/1/display.asp?did=197

deb
    in wi

10. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

Two things could be happening here... (doula, midwife's assistant, and 5 time mom here). First... you could be eating something that causes your baby to not be able to tolerate your milk. It does not have to be dairy. Dairy would include whey and carageen (I think). (Edited to add: Casein was the word I was looking for, not carageen, sorry.) There are other things that can do it too... like cruciferous veggies, (broccoli and cabbage, garlic and onions). They can make the baby gassy, and irritible. Wheat is another frequent offender.

Second, if the baby quits eating before the hind milk is taken, the foremilk is very watery. The baby will have watery, (and sometimes bloody) bowel movements because their bowels are irritated from moving so much. Also, they will want to nurse ALL the time, because they will never quite feel full. And they will cry ALOT because they are hungry. They used to reccomend nursing on both breasts at each feeding, but lactation consultants now say that you should EMPTY one breast before moving to the next one. That way, you are assured that the baby is getting the calories and the rich nutrition of the hind milk. Many presumed allergies are actually hungry babies who are not getting enough hind milk from each feeding.

On rare occasions, a baby will not be able to tolerate mother's milk. Controversy exists as to if this is because there is an allergy to a FOOD that mom eats that was not successfully tracked down, or if it is a true allergy to mother's milk. Even La Leche league will admit that this can happen if you press them, but it is EXTREMELY RARE. Years ago, before commercial formulas, these babies were raised on goat milk. My own uncle was raised this way almost 70 years ago. People who have concerns about soy based formulas today will use goat milk, juiced carrots, and low-iron vitamins as an alternative to commercial formulas to feed thier kids.

Hope that helps. BTW, it takes about 14-16 hours for the food you eat to be part of the composition of your milk. If you are having trouble, think back to what you ate 14-16 hours ago. It can help you identify what foods baby is not tolerating.

Hope you get it all figured out. :)

11. nandmsmom

nandmsmom Well-Known Member Supporter

My son was allergic to milk. I had to eliminate all dairy. Many things are labeled with dairy as well. It includes anything with casein in it. I couldn't eat chocolate, tuna (casein) most any butter or margarine and most breads as well. I believe Dr Sears website has info on eliminating milk completely from mom's diet. It takes about 2-3 weeks for the milk to completely exit mom's system. After that baby should be fine.

Heather

12. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

My sister's daughter (now aged five months) had a dairy allergy. My sister was/still is breastfeeding. She even had to cut out beef from her diet - as the allergy was so strong she even reacted when my sister ate beef -evidently the beef protein can come through mother's milk as well.

If you'd like to talk to her - I can get you two in touch - I'm sure she'd be happy to discuss what she's been doing these past five months.

Niki

13. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for all your replies. My Mom posted this for me. I will check out Dr Sears website and also check into the maple syrup urine disease. I had my son checked for additional genetic disorders when they tested for PKU and the other things that are checked in Fl, but I'm not sure about MSUD.

Have any of you used a fennel tea to help with gas? That's the biggest affect of the dairy for my son and he is in quite a bit of pain, I think. Mylicon drops do not seem to be helping at all.

Thanks again!!

14. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Before you start changing your diet or tampering with an infant's diet, are you totally sure that your baby is not just colicky? I guess I'm wondering how you arrived at the train of thought that your infant may have allergies. I really think that it might be best if you contacted your doctor about this instead of websites. The information you receive would be far more accurate and definately safer for you and the baby.

15. just_sawing

just_sawing Haney Family Sawmill

My wife and I had this problem with number four. We tried everything and with her in a O2 tent and pheumonia at 6 weeks I decided that my grandmother might have had the best Idea. I brought her home to three goats and she sleep the intire night through that night for the first time.
    1 Your milk is best
    2 The off the shelf what ever I do not trust. The reaason isn't that I am phobic but I work in a Lab and can tell you that in EVERY manufacturing process there is deviation to the norm. That deviation can kill. YOu have a manufacturing plant in the goat but the difference is that you control the enviromant your plant operates in.

16. cedarsleeping

cedarsleeping Active Member

diagnosed at a major hospital. At the time, doctors had only heard of this rarely, however it is MUCH more common than people realize. What are your baby's symptoms?

The thinking now is that many "colicky" babies are infact dealing with food intolerances.

Infants "shouldn't" develop milk allergies because the whole proteins should not pass into mom's breast milk. However, in our family, I don't think I break down milk protein properly, and predisposed all our kids to milk intolerance. Not a true allergy, and not lactose intolerance, but an intolerance-type allergy to casein.

I had to remove all dairy from my diet for dd's symptoms to disappear, including whey powder, anything with casein or --- caseinate in it. As my dd got older, doctors kept telling me that she would grow out of it. Just be careful, because what tends to happen is the symptoms tend to morph into other symptoms. When we reintroduced dairy at age 1, she developed chronic ear infections and eczema. When we reintroduced dairy at age 4, she developed GER (gastroesophogeal reflux) At 12, she can have some cheese but she's careful. We tend to buy sheep products where we can, and drink soy or rice milk.

There is generally casein in soy formula, so nursing is a better option if you are willing to remove the casein.

Just read the other posts and remembered that I too had to cut out beef for me for a while when she was still nursing. I'd completely forgotten that! However she's been eating beef with no problem for years now ... pretty sure I introduced that at a year or so.

Good for you to persist with this. There are a few lactose-free margarines on the market (Fleishman's comes to mine; the salt-free one and they've just introduced a lactose-free one as well). Only vegan cheeses are actually caseine free ... other soy and rice cheese products have casein added. But to be honest, they are pretty gross anyway. And food journals will become your friend!!

HTH!

Karen

Karen

17. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Lost post yesterday, so attempting to reply with same information.

Food allergies/sensitivities run in our families. So it wasn't a big surprise when my children had food issues as well as issues with nursing. With each child I learned more. Luckily I succeeded with our third and last child to continue nursing until he weaned without issues once we figured it out.

Beef proteins, from not completely cooked through beef as well as the milk, were the first to be eliminated, then came soy (if a person is sensitive to beef, chances are they will be to soy as well), then came peanuts in all forms, then green beans. Once we eliminated all of those our youngest was fine (wished I had all that information and support with my older 2).

If you wish to still use a "milk" I suggest trying goat milk since its proteins have a different composition than beef. Of the readily available milks, goat and sheep milk are closest in protein composition to human milk, which makes them much easier for the human to digest and get the most nutrients out of it. A non-mammalian option with the most nutritional value would be coconut milk.

As for fennel, a nursing baby can get the properties through mamas’ milk as long as mom is drinking an infusion (tea) made from the seeds*you can also take fennel in capsule form if you don't want to drink the tea*. It not only ups the quality of moms’ milk and helps with aiding in digestion for both mom and nursing baby, but it will also increase milk supply. To use fennel to aid in digestion and help with “colic” is a great option, but going to the source for digestion upset and eliminating it, is always a first thing to do.

HTH, Reese