Military generators

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by opus, Sep 12, 2004.

1. opus

opus Guest

Anyone familiar with a 4 cyl, Chrysler engine, 3kw military generator?

2. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

Im not really familar with military stuff but the last time I looked into it the generators output was 400 cycles(hertz) where normal house hold power is 60 cycles(hertz)

3. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Oregonsparkie, you're probably thinking of some of the high-power offbeat military stuff ... which is 400hz. (Mostly used in aircraft applictions, I believe.) A lot of the smaller gensets are the typical 60hz.

Opus, we just acquired a (1965 vintage) 3kw military genset with a 4 cyl Wisconsin engine, typical military 24v starting system. It's the typical 60hz and is capable of 110/220 operation.
    I haven't had a chance to get it running yet - got it surplus from a city auction. They removed the spark plugs for some reason, so there's no telling what condition it's in. (I figure even if the engine's bad, the generator should be good.)
    BTW - which Chrysler engine is attached to the one you've got? What year model is it?

4. opus

opus Guest

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The 400 cycle military generators are for radar applications. The 'finer' cycleage is better for radar, less spikes.