Mildew problem on vinyl siding

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nostalgia, Sep 5, 2004.

1. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

When we first purchased our home there were trees near the decks on the north side of the house and we had a constant problem with mildew on the decks and on the houses siding. We cut the trees down to eliminate some of the shade. But it still came back. We bleached the decks and power washed the siding with bleach and other commercial products that claimed to eliminate the mildew. It appeared to be gone. But before long there it was again. So we bleached everything again and purchased paint that was supose to prohibit mildew. :no: No it didn't work, and within a years time the paint faded and peeled too.

We have spent hundreds of dollars fighting a loosing battle. So instead of fighting it over and over each year and spending more money we are considering the new vinyl deck and rails which are very expensive but well worth the cost if they will help. I realize we will probely still have the mildew problem but some bleach and a power sprayer is much cheaper than repainting every year.

Does anyone have any experience with the new vinyl decking and railings? Is it easy to install, durable, sturdy? Our back deck is up at least 10 feet and I need to make sure it will be sturdy if someone leans against the railings and will the vinyl flooring hold up to heavy weight?

Any other alternatives you might suggest? I am so sick of painting every year but the mildew is so ugly and we don't want it to spread to the roof. Help if ya can? Thanks! :)

2. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

bump-- because we could really use some help with this. :)

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I'm not sure where you live --- if it's very humid w/ fair amounts of rain, that will make a difference.

More importantly, I would guess, if you've already had ongoing problems with mildew, you'll continue to have them even if you change to vinyl, you'll still have problems.

Which you already know. :)

Why are you painting the deck every year? Is it simply to prevent mildew? Or to keep it looking good? Are you using an oil based paint?

I have vinyl siding here and I still have mildew. Like you, I also have the most problems on the north side. The solution for me will be to do something about drainage (after I finish all my other projects, including getting rid of all the mildew inside - :rolleyes: ) and finding ways to dry the area out and divert moisture.

If I were you, rather than spending a lot of money on vinyl decking at this point, I'd sit down and start trying to figure out drainage, natural drying mechanisms, etc. Hopefully, you've been using oil based paints :D --- for now, just keep using bleach on the mildew and settle for a weathered look ;) -- after you've done all you can about drainage and natural ways of drying the area out, then see how you feel about the vinyl decking.

But don't just jump into it --- it likely isn't the solution you need.

4. bulldinkie

bulldinkie Well-Known Member

Just spray with bleach and water, rinse.

5. Kathryn L.Holck

Kathryn L.Holck Active Member

Chances are there may be mildew on the other side of the vinyl siding. I would check out the underside to be sure. good luck

6. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I also assume it is humid where you are at and that you have a lot of trees on your property. One solution would be to cut down all the trees near your house so it can "breathe" but hat probably isn't what you'd want to do and you would have to clear out a large area.
    You should be able to keep everything under control by simply spraying the problem areas twice a year with a bug/deck sprayer with bleach; 2 parts bleach/1pt water and then hosing it off, you shouldn't have to power wash it but if you own one then I would. The paint with mildew resistance does help, but in your case probably just slowed down the process a little, it can't prevent serious cases of mildew. I've been a painter for over 20yrs and I have seen this in our area so I hope this helps.

"Remember you are unique, just like everyone else"