Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a good mild salsa recipe that they love? ...and when I say mild, I mean mild because I can't eat even "medium" salsa

·
Registered
519 Posts
My wife and now my daughter will eat the hottest peppers they can find and laugh at me.
I use to be the one that could eat the hottest of the hottest but that is no longer true.
Sometimes even the mild will set me on fire but before I go on about how I make mine, let me tell you something my daughter just taught me.
We were eating beans and cornbread and I grabbed I pepper that I think it was a habanero pepper they said it was supposed to be 100 times as hot, not thinking about it because I planted them and knew what they looked like, and that was a 3 truck alarm fire.
I mean that set me on fire. Inside the mouth, my tongue, my throat, my lips and all the way up to my nose and down to my chin was on fire worse than it had ever been.
Stacey ran and grabbed the salt shaker and told me to eat some of it and at the time I'd have tried anything, and it didn't work right off, but it wasn't but a couple of minutes before it started in some places and I ran to the kitchen, took the top off the shaker and poured it into a cup and added a bit of water and started just rubbing it all over around my mouth.
I'd say that it knocked off 80% to 90% of the pain in maybe five minutes.

Now with that said, whenever I make salsa I start out with nothing but tomato's, onions, green peppers, etc. at first, "EXCEPT" the hot peppers.
The hot pepper are the last ingredient that I ad to it and if I am going to can any of it, (Which I do about every fall if I have to buy all the veggies, I do a taste, through out several days, and adding the hot peppers several times until there is just the right amount for me.
Anytime I get mine too hot, I just throw a quarter cup more hot peppers in and can that as hot, for those with the armor plate in and around their months! :banana: , and then start mind over again.

I have found that peppers from the same limb, from the same plant will be supper mild to extremely hot.

And when you eat just a few taste of it at a time, it will cause you not to realize how hot or mild the next bite will be.
That's why it takes me a few days before I start canning my salsa.
My wife and daughter will eat it no matter how hot it is but one bite too hot for me and that's it for me for the night.

Just do your taste test as you are making it.

Godspeed

Ranger

1 - 2 of 2 Posts