Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Goshen Farm
7,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading threads and thinking this morning and got to wondering...DH received health insurance as part of his retirement from Qwest (US West) back in 1997. We did not have to pay for it at all. Because we chose to live in Montana we were "out of network" so we had higher co pays for doctors visits and procedures though. Now this year for the first time we are paying 150.00 per month as a partial premium for our insurance which seems to keep the company's contribution the same. I realize we remain blessed in this area none the less it is an unexpected dent in our tight budget. Then comes the increases relating to medications. I know they are expensive. The co pays for each went up 20 dollars per month be it purchased monthly or tri-monthly while the number of doses also decreased. I was previously allowed 36 migrain aborters for three months for a co pay of 80 dollars, the co pay now is 100 for 18 doses? I phoned and asked if I would save money by increasing the pain meds and reducing the aborters and was told that to purchase even one aborter pill would cost 100 dollars? Are others facing these issues right now? Just wondering...sis

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
A friend of mine is a self-employed pharmacist.
He said that is an across-the-board problem this month. A lot of people have seen significant changes (decreases) in their prescription drug coverage...

·
Registered
442 Posts
The deductable on my meds have gone way up. And If I do not get it through the Preferred Mail Order Provider it is even worse.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I agree with Switchman62 ,
Mail order is the way to go. Like CVS online vs going to the local store. For some reason its better to get your prescription filled online over having it filled locally by the same company. Walgreens is suppose to be one of better online.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
My employer generously paid all of our health insurance premiums (which is nearly unheard of) - until this year. Now it is $55/week. It is doubtful that they will ever change it back

Still, I cannot complain as the insurance is good and other people pay much more, or cannot afford insurance at all.

This is the only to look at things in 2009. We could be worse off.

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
I was previously allowed 36 migrain aborters for three months for a co pay of 80 dollars, the co pay now is 100 for 18 doses? I phoned and asked if I would save money by increasing the pain meds and reducing the aborters and was told that to purchase even one aborter pill would cost 100 dollars? Are others facing these issues right now? Just wondering...sis
The cost per pill varies by the number of pills you receive. The greater the number of pills you get the less the cost per pill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts