Mike's windmill shop

Discussion in 'Alternative Energy' started by Cyngbaeld, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

2. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Those are interesting.

I know next to nothing about alternative electricity, how would one apply this power?

How is it converted to useable juice for the home?

3. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

Do a search on them at otherpower.com forum, while nothing bad has been said about the company, the claims for power are way out of wack according to not only those who biought, but those who know how these things are supposed to work.. Too bad, I was interested in them too....
    I believe they don't make any power until winds speeds are quite high.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I emailed them and asked, but while they answered the email, they did not answer my question and say what the wind speed is that it should be putting out 800watts.

Guess I'll look in another direction for a wind genny. I'm thinking about the Whisper100.

Rockin'B, normally the power generated is used to charge a deep cycle battery bank. Then the power is used in dc appliances or run thru an inverter to power ac appliances. You also need a diversion load in case it is generating more power than the batteries can handle. A regulator is used to deliver the correct amt of power to the batteries. You can also use solar and/or a regular gas/diesel/propane gen set to charge the batteries.

5. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

As to the original question

buyer beware

6. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

your going to need gail force winds to get 800 watts and to be honest it should furl before reaching that rpm

7. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

If a generator with 59 inch diameter blades can put out 800 watts, my 2500 watt Jacobs with 14 foot diameter blades should generate close to 19 or 20,000 watts, based on blade circle area. and my generator would have long since blown away, along with the tower and probably the hill top in that kind of wind.

8. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Cyngbaeld,

Thanks!