Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we got this kitten back in October of 2020. She's cute as a button, but also crazy as kittens tend to be, but she's not happy with being inside...at all. She constantly tries to open the front door and while it's humorous to see her try it, she has also destroyed the carpet down below in that spot as well. She climbs screens on windows and curtains and we are continuing to try to curb the behavior as much as possible.

This cat is also cranky. We had 2 indoor cats in this living space before and never had problems years ago, but this has certainly been different. The lady that sold her to me warned me that she comes from a line of strong hunters and she will have to have a lot of outdoor time. I do take her outside with me while I water the plants, take care of the chickens, and let the kids play. Sometimes she walks near me and rolls around on the ground or sniffs around, but I put her in an old chicken coop that the chickens aren't occupying when I'm not able to supervise her as there is a highway that's not too far off from us. That's one of the major things I worry about. We do have outdoor cats around here that seem fine, but there have been a lot that my husband told me have seemingly gone missing and maybe it's the pound picking them up or they're getting picked off by coyotes or something, I don't know.

We're thinking of a way we could have a cat enclosure outside so she could be out there at least 50%-90% of the day. She doesn't seem happy inside and seems so happy when I take her out. She seems like one of those cats that'd be a happy barn cat.

Does anyone else have outdoor cats? Anyone use a cat enclosure for them? Any ideas they can share for an enclosure that's affordable and easy to build?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
In this house I have a screen enclosed breezeway. I've also added a cat run outside of the breezeway that allows the cats to go out and lay in the sun. So, it's possible to build something for your super hunter to hang out in and be safe.

·
STILL not Alice
20,223 Posts
We have one of those Magic Screens across the doorway. Actually, we have many of them still boxed as well. They are our Ozark Engineer way of installing a dog door/cat flap.

Works for now. So far (knock wood) we haven't had any wild critters wander in.

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO

·
STILL not Alice
20,223 Posts
Every cay I have ever had was an outdoor cat. I wouldn't have a cat in the house on a dare. Cat hair, litter box, climbing on everything, no thanks.
I have indoor/outdoor cats because I don't like mice in the house.

Reactions: MAWL

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In this house I have a screen enclosed breezeway. I've also added a cat run outside of the breezeway that allows the cats to go out and lay in the sun. So, it's possible to build something for your super hunter to hang out in and be safe.
That's cool :) I've seen a lot of diy's online, but not sure which one would be doable with the budget and property we have. Kind of stumped on what would even work. I'm thinking about a single enclosure out back, but I am also thinking about it because of all the ants we have that we can't seem to get rid of, but keep trying to get rid of. Also, I want her to have adequate shade and even in the shade it can get crazy hot so just want the details to all be there.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have one of those Magic Screens across the doorway. Actually, we have many of them still boxed as well. They are our Ozark Engineer way of installing a dog door/cat flap.

Works for now. So far (knock wood) we haven't had any wild critters wander in.
The magic screens are awesome. We picked one up at the store and then genius me installed it wrong and yeah...that didn't work :( I didn't think that one through, should've waited until my husband could do it. Ah well. The adhesives didn't work and just came off of the wall so we would need to put it up with the tacks, but I worry about it because we have small children that might yank or pull on it, too. We haven't tried to put it back up, but it would be nice.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every cay I have ever had was an outdoor cat. I wouldn't have a cat in the house on a dare. Cat hair, litter box, climbing on everything, no thanks.
I've had indoor only and indoor/outdoor cats and notice the ones that can go outside are generally happier unless for some reason they are terrified of going out of the house.

We did have a hiatus from furry pets for a while and I don't miss the cat fur around the house or the litter box or the cat food sitting around and getting knocked over or being messed with by the kids, we aren't certain our area would be great to just let a cat wander around in.

The last outdoor cat I had was in a different neighborhood not far from here (within city limits still), and only had a problem with one neighbor that was only renting and didn't stay long - they just blamed us for everything cat related because we were the only people that he knew with a cat and I was a kid so I was too scared of him to say otherwise...I had never had a friends parent threaten to kill my cat. Anyway, moving on from that...

The highway is close to here and there are other cats that do wander around and we're in city limits. Sometimes animal patrol wanders and picks them up, but I don't think it's that common for them to. I also worry about the homeless and druggies that wander through here - I don't know if they'd bother a cat, but you never know. The one time our kitten ran away she hid in a yucca across the street for 2 days and she was about 2-3 months old. She was too scared to come out. I thought she was long gone from the area because she didn't even come home, but when I walked over there and called her name she hesitantly started crawling out. Poor little thing might've stayed in there and died, I don't know. There's also coyotes and while most cats are smart and can get away from them, there are the few that don't. They are pretty brave when they come parading into the neighborhood at night.

We originally got her because we ended up with a mouse problem somehow. This place has never had a problem with mice...ever...and ever since getting the house there's now mice that come in from time to time. Her high hunter instinct is great for that. She also catches the spiders and cockroaches. I was bit by a venomous spider about a year or so ago. The chickens get them on the outside and the cat gets them on the inside. Things have been great.

I hate to send her outside too often, or have her in a solitary enclosure not attached to the house or something and then get way too hot out there, but she needs more outside time than she's getting right now - that's for certain.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here is one of our cats, he is standing by the door ready to go out , he is a main **** cat medium size .
the cats get street smarts , they learn fast about dogs , car , and such ,I couldn’t keep him in side if I wanted .
We have had 4 of these cats At one time And never empty the litter box because they won’t use it .
The cat in the pic is about 19lbs our big red cat that just passed was 28lbs .
They all go out Year round and do there thing .
We have a main road 300’ from the house and the cats walk to the bus stop with the kids in the morning but don’t cross the road .
The gray cat is going to pee out side and he will be back at the door to come in in a few min
they Mostly just sit on the porch they don’t really need to be kept in the house in the country .

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Here is one of our cats, he is standing by the door ready to go out , he is a main **** cat medium size .
the cats get street smarts , they learn fast about dogs , car , and such ,I couldn’t keep him in side if I wanted .
We have had 4 of these cats At one time And never empty the litter box because they won’t use it .
We have a main road 300’ from the house and the cats walk to the bus stop with the kids in the morning but don’t cross the road .
The gray cat is going to pee out side and he will be back at the door to come in in a few min
they Mostly just sit on the porch they don’t really need to be kept in the house in the country .
View attachment 97545
Not all cats are that dependable. My male got out a few years ago. He was gone for hours. I kept calling. Finally I heard a cry in the woods. Kept calling, found him. It took us forever to get back to the house because he kept freaking out.

·
Registered
396 Posts
That’s the thing , your cat got out , my cats do as they please .
The cat will come home when it gets hungry no need to look for it .
If the cats are not accounted for at bed time I give a yell at the door if they don’t come running they are sleeping on the porch .
The dogs are in the same boat , If they don’t come in when I call they are on the porch .
My 65lb poodle sits at my bed room door after dinner so he dosent get locked out of the bed room , he sleeps on the rug next to the side of the bed .
I don’t really like cats at all , but the one in the pic is like a dog I did not pic him , he picked me . He sleep out side my bedroom door a Greets me at the bottom of the stairs in the morning .
My wife likes cats and really I can only think of one cat that moved on , his name was spuds he showed up on the porch with a wound on his side , he stayed a few weeks and then left , 4 months later he walk in the house ate and laid across the back of my chair .
He was with us for 6 years , one day he just left ?
5 years later in walked spuds , he ate and laid across the back of my chairs Like he was never gone ? I think he was old and came to say good by .
I never saw him again

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 97545
Yeah, wish I lived more in the country, but sadly I don't. I think if I did, I would be more willing to let my cat go outside more often.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts