Mighty Mule automatic gate openers.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by East Texas Pine Rooter, Aug 27, 2004.

1. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

Tractor supply has these Mighty Mule automatic gate openers. Has anyone tried them? How long have you had it? Has it given you any trouble?

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

no i havent tried them , but i would like to know about them too !!!!
    from what i understand, others have made home made versions of the same thing out of garage door openers ....
    either way , we have a gate we use to get onto our property, and i would like to not have to get out of the jeep all the time when i get there .....

3. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Eww,, yes.. can't wait to see replies to this one!! :eek: My hubby has invented an idea or two.. but hmm.. Tractor Supply eh? What's the cost? Do they have solar? Does it have a wheel?

4. Eric in TN

Eric in TN Member

We have the Mighty Mule FM700 on a 16 foot gate across the driveway (single gate - couldn't afford to do the dual gate!). I really like it, though they are expensive. Biggest problem I have is keeping a good battery in the "clickers", just seems to go through them at the rate of 1 a month per clicker. We've had it over three years now too.

5. Timedess

Timedess Guest

my dh installs gate openers for a living... he said the mighty mules are 'worthless'. he says what to look for would depend on how much you want to spend. duh! *men* :rolleyes: ::: shrug :::

in Him,
    Timedess

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

......................DONOT use MM openers on any Gate larger than 8 feet wide . They use a worm gear arrangement and will fail if attached to a Large, heavy gate when there is a strong wind of say 40 to 50 mph . There is a much better opener that is heavy duty and utilizes a solar cell to recharge a 12 volt deep cycle type battery . I ...can't remember the Brand name at this time but they are sold at Bob Jones Fence co in Ft. Worth, tx for less than a thousand bucks . My neighbor across the Road has one that has been working everyday now for 4 years . I'll check the Brand name tomorrow and Post back Here if my Senility doesn't interfere with my Tranquility.......fordy..... :eek: :)

7. East Texas Pine Rooter

My gate is 18-feet wide, 250-pounds, ball bearing hindges, and is well balanced. Ihave the MM 500. Maybe i need a stronger system. I have had a lot of problems with it. I have a solar system. the 2-12 volt batteries have always been good when checked. The first problem was that the signal from the keypads weren't strong enough. I buried the cable from the keypads, to the electronic brain box. I had trouble with the remotes, with the truck being less than 15-feet away from the antenna. when i called the company for help, and they said the instructions that were included in the box were outdatet. I told him i just bought it in May, and he said the bad instructions were 5-years old. Now the working arm is frozen. Tractor supply will replace it, no questions asked. Great bunch of folks to do business with.

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.....................You....need a REFUND.....NOT a replacement . Call bob Jones fence co in Ft.Worth and ask them about their gate opener.........fordy.... :eek: :)

9. niobrara

niobrara New Member

If you are just keeping critters in or out, why not just install a cattle guard (or auto gate) instead of a regular gate? No moving parts, just drive over it.

10. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................One post ayear!!...You must chose your subjects , carefully.. :eek: :) ...fordy :worship: :D

11. East Texas Pine Rooter

We have had enough of the Mighty Mule gate openers. They are sold at Home Depot, Lowes, and tractor Supply for around $500.00. The consept is great when you are trying to get into your property, and it's pouring down rain, are people are just driving down your road to see what they can see. it would be nice if they would come on down, and be neighborly. when they see your truck, they just turn around in the grass spinning there wheels, and getting out. I have a 16-foot gate, weights 250 pounds, with ball bearing hindges, and is ballanced level. MM technicians are helpful, and nice, but it's a lot of trouble to send the unit back. Looked up Bob Jones Fence Co., on a search engine, and had no luck. Any body reccommend another type of unit?

12. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............................................Ok , here is the yaller pages info , Bob Davis Fence Co. , 3805 W.Vickery Blvd., 817-732-5541. This orta work , ...fordy.... :eek: :)

13. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

We had a MM at our place in OK, and it worked great for the 5 years we lived there. If we were expecting company, we just opened it up, then turned it off to keep it open. Later on, my dh installed a keypad on a tree down by the gate, and we gave the code to family and friends so they could get in if they were dropping by. Ours was not solar, it was electric, but we never had a time when power was out and we could not get in.

We had ours more to keep people out than to keep animals in. We like our privacy, and since dh would often have to go out of town, I felt safer knowing no one could drive up to the house unexpected.

14. East Texas Pine Rooter

Our's worked at first, but had problems with the stationary key pads. We were told by the MM techinicians that the instructions we recieved with the unit were 5-years old, and were out of date. we corrected the problem, white wire went ontop of the red wire, instead of the black wire, but then the arm froze up, and wouldn't retract. I went back to Tractor Supply today, and they gave me another complete unit. I will install the arm tomorrow afternoon. The next time i have trouble, I will order a new complete articulate unit, and will not bother with a M. Mule again. The articulate units are not carried by the major suppliers listed above. The articulate units are on a wheel, and is on a slide arm. They also cost $1,000.00 plus, but are used more on the commercial use. I still will be using solar. Maybe i just got one that was maufactured on a Friday afternoon, before a holiday. The next one, will maybe solve the problem. I'll let you kbow.

15. thebar

thebar Member

I notice that it has been a while since this thread has been active but I thought I'd ask you a follow-up Timedess: What type of gate opener would your husband recommend? I'd like to purchase a reliable swing gate opener but I am unsure what model is best. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

16. dixiegal62

dixiegal62 Well-Known Member Supporter

we have the mm and like it, it opens a bit slow on cloudy days but works fine for our needs.