Might she be close to kidding?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by moosemaniac, Jan 13, 2005.

1. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Okay, so it's my fault for letting the buck run with the does this year, but I didn't have a separate pasture set up for him yet. Anyway, not being totally sure of due dates, I calculated the first to be due 12/7. I was wrong. I added 21 days and guessed 12/28. Wrong again. So another 21 days puts her at this Monday, 1/17. ANYWAY, this morning. She was very, very affectionate, didn't seem to want to eat, but she definitely wanted to go outside with her buds. She's making a lot of noise. I thought I saw her strain for a second, and then there was a small amount of mucus showing. Since then, nothing.
    I had to leave for work, but my son is going to give me hourly updates just in case.
    So, please, all you experts...could this be the day?

Ruth

2. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

3. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

4. moosemaniac

Thanks so much you guys. I've been getting hourly updates from my son. The updates themselves are pretty funny. Even though my son is 21, he's mentally challenged. My 11:00 update went as follows: "She looked at me. She gave me a kiss." That was it. Nothing unusual happening otherwise.

I will be so happy when my first kidding is over with. Then I get to be a basketcase all over again with my second doe who is a first kidder. A whole new set of worries for me.

Ruth

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Well how is she doing tonight?? I have a doe that has had discharge off and on now two weeks and last kidding she did this for a month sooooooooo discharge is not your only clue. Check her ligaments.

6. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

My only clue was no ligaments and her wanting me to be there with her. Thats all...

MotherClucker

7. moosemaniac

Since she's my first to kid, ever, I'm not really sure on the ligaments. They're loose, but are they "loose enough"? I've been keeping a close eye on her and during the day, my son gives me updates at work. So far, nothing. I have the monitor on 24 hours, in spite of the chicken coop being attached to the goat shed. Darned Roosters! She just wants to lick me all over. Her vulva doesn't seem to be getting pinker yet, but her udder is growing rather large. I made sure the "spigots" were clear. She also reacts quite positively to a "belly massage". She's such a good girl! The herd queen, however, is not real happy with me right now.
    Ruth