Might have found our homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ruester, Nov 20, 2004.

1. ruester

ruester Member

9 acres, 4 yr old doublewide, at a really good price. Big creek in the back with trees along it, rest of the land clear. Drawback is its about 60 miles from our families, and Id have to change jobs, but it would only be about 400 per mo after we sell our house. Also finding work will be a drag, as this is a somewhat depressed area. Anybody can tell me the pros and cons of doublewide living? Thanks.

2. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Ask Charley, Frances, Ivan or Jeanne!

3. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I grew up in a double wide that was made in 1972, that said they have come a long ways in construction, but are still basically the same..... pooorly constructed. however if you can pay one off before it rots out and are happy with one, then by all means get into it.

as for being 60 miles from kin folk, depending u[on the road conditions, that usually isnt more than a 90 minute drive..... something folks in central idaho do to drive to a city with a population over 5000 Lewiston pop 30,000?] Most of my family is at least 180 miles and the rest are 240 miles ...... some other farther..... comuting to a job you have right now may be your best option if it is a well paying job, I drove over 80 miles one way for several months at a time a couple years just because i did not have a camp trailer to park for the fall and winter..... I know others who travel all day motel it for the week, and drive home, which is hard on family life but they are getting things payed down faster too.

acreage is good if its usable or can put a buffer between you and any nieghbors you have or will have, that can be idiots.....the more the merrier, the better suited for usibilty the better as well. I only wish i had 500 acres instead of the 5 we are sitting on..... but wish in one hand pee in the other and guess which fills faster!!!

Look hard and fast, pros and cons, and if real estate is selling really fast there, then you have a problem in a different sort, most propety doesnt have many buyers looking at really buying it in most markets, so you could take a few days to think about it..... in the end its solely a desicion made by the family unit, both mates must be in harmony on the purchase or things will happen you never wanted to, nor could imagine.

Good luck!!! you will make it..... the desicision that is!
    William

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Save your money and build your own home. Shouldn't cost much if you are the contractor. The mobile home only depreciates and even though ours is newer, still very poorly constructed and not worth the money we spent.