Might go camping on our land this weekend...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, Aug 23, 2004.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

to just see what it looks like... :)

Seems like it has been ages since we were up there and even though it hasn't been cleared(it was SUPPOSED to be done about two months ago-very rainy Summer).

Not sure what we will do but I am going through withdrawal from not doing anything to move ahead.

Maybe we will take our chainsaw and weedeater and clear a patch of land :haha:

Oh well,at least it will e about 10-15 dgrees cooler than here.

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Oz
    that sounds so good.

I think if I get land like I really want it will be in another state and most likely be weekend visits and a few weeks here and there. But I'd have land.

Please take photos and post where we can see them.

Rememeber chiggers, bug spray and watch out for poison whatever is there.

Where is your land - I forget reading where.

AngieM2

3. oz in SC

Our land is in western NC a little southeast-ish from Asheville(Rutherford County to be exact)

It was VERY overgrown when we were last there so no telling how it is now,hopefully the driveway is okay.

We are lucky because our land is only about three to four hours away so we can pop up there pretty easily.

We haven't because we have been waiting for the land clearing guy to get it cleared some so we can see what we want to do....also life has an annoying habit of getting in the way.

That being said I just want to get up there and bask in the glory of OUR OWN LAND!!! :D

Might even take our rotten chicken killing dog up there to see what she thinks. :D

4. to get on with the productivity aspect have you considered drawing it up the dimension and topography then trying to add in the plants a bit. when you get home you can play with planning the layout

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

6. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, I remember how excited I was the first time I camped out on my land. It was the day I closed on it! I had my little neice with me, and my two big dogs. We slept in a tent, had a terrific night. Hard to believe I've been living here for almost 2 years already!

7. oz in SC

Well just looked at the weather forecast for this weekend and it looks like thunderstorms Saturday and Sunday...not the best of camping conditions. :(

Hmm, I will keep watch and maybe it will hold off and we will be able to get up there.

it is kind of strange,I thought we would be up there a lot more than we have been,might be that we have been waiting to have it cleared some so we can see what to do for our next step towards moving there.

I tlked to the power company and for electricity to be run to a temporary pole they need footings to be in place....hmmm looks like that will be further down the road.They did say that we can have power run to the land (at our cost) to a nonresidential building.

Might look into that.

Hopefully we will be bale to get up there and bask in the glory of owning our place in the country :D

Funnily enough I emailed my mother in Australia and my sister has put a deposit down on a little cottage on 10 acres in the country...We are turning into a little homesteading family :haha:

8. oz in SC

A little update-we got in touch with the guy who is going to clear our land and we set up a date for September.

So at least we have a time period for WHEN things will start happening.

He also can reseed the land with grass AND finish the driveway.

Looks like things will be moving ahead soon. :D