Might be getting some free piggies!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by r.h. in okla., Feb 19, 2004.

1. My oldest daughter stopped by to see me today and asked if I wanted to raise some pigs to butcher. She said a lady she knows is going to give her some free baby pigs is she wants them. My daughter lives in town so she can't raise them so she wants me to raise them and I can have one to process for myself. She even said she would help buy feed for them.

I agreed. I got to thinking that if we are lucky maybe one of them will make a good show pig for one of my youngest daughter who will be in the clover buds next school year. Hope they will not be too big by then cause they will be around 6 months old. My daughter will only be 6 years old by then. Pig may be too big for her to handle by then. But I have another daughter who will be 10 by next fall, if I could only get her interested.

So I need to ask some you current pig raisers a question. The little piggies are only a couple weeks old right now. How big should they be by the time the first pig judging contest rolls around come next September? Do you thing that would be too big for a 6 year old girl to handle?

If so, then I may just take them straight to the butcher shop at the end of summer.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

They should be too big to show. They could weigh 200 by July. They could make great pets for the six year old, but she is pretty young to handle a big pig in the show ring. By Sept they should weigh over 300.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Why don't you try for chickens or rabbits to get your youngest daughter started into showing animals? She will experience the shows and learn the ropes as she goes. IMHO, a child should be older to show pigs. Even a 60 pound pig can knock the wind out of her if it gets a wild hair to bolt when she's brushing. Starting out too young can turn what would otherwise be a precious lifeliong memory into a sour note or it could be worse.
    Also, I don't know if it is true for other places but around here, show pigs are a serious business. The judges must have a very hard time deciding winners because the kids and the hogs are all top notch.

4. Well I kind of figured they might be too big for a 6 year old to show. It has been a long while since I've raised any pigs in order to remember just how big they would be in 6 months. I've gotten to where I don't usually raise my own pigs anymore. It seems much cheaper if I let someone elso raise them. I just process them for myself.

Tango, a few years ago I let my other daughter show some chickens. She placed first in the americanna, second in the brown legghorn, and second in the Dominique at our county livestock fair. After that she lost interest and hasn't participated anymore. I never could get her interested in pigs. With lack of interest our supply of chickens dwindled down to nothing. I am planning on getting some more chickens this spring and also thought of getting into the rabbit business again so maybe my 6 year old will have something to show if she shows the interest. I imagine she will, I take her to the pig and goat auction with me every once in a while and she will set down right in the front row and take everything in. She enjoys going to it. Of coarse she wants me to buy every little baby pig or goat that comes through.

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

If the passion is there, I think regardless of how she starts, she will grow in the love and showmanship. That is what it is really about. And it sounds like she has the love already. I don't know anything about showing goats but I do know of several younger girl showing them, one as young as six. Her parents are involved as well. I think goats are more forgiving of children whereas pigs, are just stubborn any way you look at them. Best wishes whatever you two decide.

6. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know about where you live, but here in MI the kids younger than nine cannot show anything larger than a goat. Since pigs are much much heavier if not actually taller than a goat, they cannot be shown by the younger kids.

7. I'm not sure just what the regulations are here but I can remember seeing 6 year olds showing pigs in the 75 - 100 pound range. Although Clover Buds are not eligible to place until they are 4H'ers, they do get recognition if there show animal would have placed. Maybe I'll get us another pig to raise come around June. Maybe then it will be small enough for her to show.