Mierals & salt

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Wendy, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

OK, I saw somewhere that said to keep loose salt & loose minerals out for sheep. Why both?? Doesn't the minerals have salt in it??

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Some mineral mixes might have salt mixed in, as it's available free choice having them seperate will allow the sheep to moderate it's intake seperately. Lot's of book references that loose is better than blocks, and I had some dead lambs with iodine deficency to back the theory up (when I used block salt) I guess sheep (and cattle) void alot of salt daily so having loose salt makes sure they can get enough in. Just a thought I'm not really sure one way is better than another.

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Well, with the goats, you do not want to keep salt out because they will consume that & then not consume enough of the mineral mix. Was wondering if that would be the case with sheep. I have loose minerals for them.

4. Ross

The only problem I've had concerning salt and sheep was them not getting enough from a block. I can't say I've ever heard of sheep getting too much salt.

5. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I'm not worried about them getting too much salt. I am worried about them filling up on the salt & not consuming enough of the minerals. Kind of like McDonald's fries. They are good with some salt, but too much & they are bad. I was just wondering if by eating on loose salt, they get their fill of salt & then do not eat the minerals because they have salt in them & they have already had their fill of salt. Does that make any sense?? :confused:

6. Ross

Yup makes sence to me, and I havn't noticed them eating less mineral, a little more if anything. Only a very little. I did have to switch brands periodically to keep them using the stuff but lately the Shurgain mix has stayed popular. They eat a little more in winter to spring here, I suppose because they are pregnant?