Midwesterners....Is there a thornless blackberry that has done well for you?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Terri, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I am wanting to expand my little blackberry business, but the kind of berries that I have has the WORST thorns! :eek:

I was hoping to try a different variety, but most of the "hardy" THORNLESS blackberries offered are only hardy in zone 5. We live on the border of zone 4 & 5.

I was hoping that my fellow Midwesterners with blackberries could tell me what has done well for them.

Also, when you want more bushes, do you dig up the roots (like I have been doing), or do you take cuttings?

2. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

I too am interested in a thornless blackberry :) Is there anyone out there that knows of one that is hardy for Zone 4?

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

The berries will not taste as good! The thornless types don't have a nice sweet berry like the thorned ones.

Eh, just quit being a wimp and grow the natural kind. Makes the berries that much sweeter. :cool:

4. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Haven't tried it yet myself, but my books say to pile some dirt over the tip of the cane and give it a few weeks. It will root and then can be cut free from the parent.