midwest Bee plants

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Elizabeth, May 3, 2005.

1. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

DH and I just got back from moving my bees from Fl to MN. 2 1/2 day drive-yuck. Bees seem ok, even though it was snowing while we unloaded them. It is much warmer today and there was quite a bit of flight activity.

We have been told by several area beekeepers that dandelions are the first nectar source in our area. They must mean that it is the first major source because we have only a few that have bloomed so far. Meanwhile, the bees are all over the creeping charlie which grows in the yard.

What early plants bloom in your area for nectar/pollen? I'm gonna have to relearn my bee plant biology :confused:

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Dandylion is a lousy nectar plant, but they give a lot of pollen.

That's OK, sugar is cheap and pollen is not. Beekeepers welcome the dandylions here!

The little weeds seem to give the first nectar: even so a LOT of beekeepers feed in the early spring. You want to build up your hive for the first honey flow.

After the dandylions and the small weeds there is the blooming trees. MAple at first, then the ornamental trees in peoples yards. I think the bees like ornamental pear trees every bit as much as the orchard type.

I honestly don't know what blooms after that, but the bees come back with goodies so they MUST be finding SOMETHING, and a lot of it!

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Seems like the kitty Willow is the first in this area for a pollen source March 28th this year just like last year.
    Then we have Creeping Chairle and Daneloins together. Fruit trees and Koren Box Woods seem to be together followed close behind with Wild Mustard and that is where we are now.
    :D Al