midsummer planting for indiana?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Unregistered-1427815803, May 29, 2004.

1. Hi,

I think I've read in the past for this area (outside indy) that july 6 is the right time for midsummer plantings of brocolli (and similar), peas, etc.

Does anyone know if this is the right time? And also, am I supposed to plant seeds at that time or am I supposed to plant transplants?

Any info is greatly appreciated,

mel-

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Mel, that will work with cabbage and brocoli, but I don't know about peas. Have raised good radishes then also. All you have to do is figure out how to make it rain in July and August. Could take lots of well water. Green beans will grow then. Plant turnips the 25th of July, wet or dry. Old timers saying.

3. sugarspinner

sugarspinner Well-Known Member

Mel, That time is good for cabbage and broccoli. I do peas a bit later because they like cool weather-------and even then, we have a good crop only every couple of years. Greenbeans are good to plant up to mid-July for a fall crop. I like to do turnips about the first of August, along with radishes and late spinach. You can do Daikon radishes then, too, for a good fall crop. The good thing about fall broccoli is that you don't have the worm problems of early broccoli.

Oh, I'm East Central Indiana. You might need to adjust by as much as a week, depending on whether you're north or south.

Hope this helps.

4. Sherri C

Sherri C Plays with yarn

I'd probably wait a bit on the peas because they really don't like the hot weather. I got my peas in late this year so I chose a heat-tolerant variety but they're still struggling.

5. Hi,

thank you all for your replies!

unclewill, it looks like this year we aren't going to have to worry about lack of water! after sunday nights storm, parts of my garden are pure mud and I am worrying about plants drowning!

to all: so I should wait until august to plant more peas then? i got mine in really early (or so I thought) but they aren't growing well.

my father told me he doesn't plant beans past first of june because it seems later crops have a brown spot that develops on them and makes the pod inedible. He plants blue lake beans, is there another type that won't have that problem? I've helped harvest and can beans but never grew them before.

Mel-

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Mel, We seldom plant a late garden. We aim to grow all we need in the spring, but having the late things would really extend your fresh veggie season.
    It's soaking wet right now, but we could be bone dry by the first of July. Two saying that are based in fact are 1- It sure rains easy in wet weather 2- All signs of rain fail in dry weather.
    I can't answer your bean question. Soy beans planted in early July don't have that problem.
    All you stand to lose is a handful of seed. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.. Go for it.
    I have a friend who done custom hog roasts for people with a portable roaster. He would plant short season sweet corn the first of july, and sell it to his customers to include in the hog roasts in the fall.