Mid/Late Fall... what are you doing?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Nov 3, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

My list is long and I fear that I won't get it all done.

The last couple of days I have been getting vehicles ready for the winter, but still don't have my plow truck ready (sigh). I have the alternator from HADES that is giving me fits (long story) so after spending 120.00 for plates for my dump truck, another 100 to change the oil pan on my van (thank the good Lord that is done) and stacking firewood in my spare moments, I am beginning to be VERY thankful for the 65+ weather around here.

I did get my new SUPERVENT (I am NOT a paid advertiser) chimney in, pictures will follow.

I marked all my maples (well the ones that I am going to use for syrup) today with a red dot of paint. I think my neighbors probably think I have gone nuts.

I got a two acre plot plowed with open furrows to let the frost do it's job. Old farm field that has been fallow for a few years now. I am trying to get it ready for pumpkins and corn next year.

Lets see on the list to do:
    *Butcher Chickens... don't wait, get rid of those roosters. NOW!

*Finish the new Poultry Palace, what an ambitious endeavor. It has a central area with two "wings" (puns will follow) one for turkeys, one for layers.

*Clean out all that "extra" stuff from the attached garage to make room for more wood (I am moving it all INSIDE to save from treading through snow in the winter)

*Butcher two pigs (goal is by the end of november, before Thanksgiving preferably)

*Haul a LOT more stone in to cover the mudspots in my drive.

*Put new "smaller shelfs" in the one pantry for my wife's spices

*"finish out" my chimney for my woodburner. (I removed a window and built a subwall, and that's where I exited the house with the chimney, so now I have to put some of my extra left over aluminum on the outside)

*clean the shop, it's amazing during the warm weather, how disorganized it gets, because I don't want to spend anytime in there.

*repaint the kitchen, wife wants a new color, so that will be a rainy/snowy day job

*I will probably have to mow one more time, that's weird... and of course I need a new tensioner pulley for the drive belt. So I will be replacing that soon I suppose.

*After I get rid of the two pigs, do a major clean out on the stall where they were kept.

*Bring down a bunch of standing dead wood and clean up an old pasture that the previous owners let go to saplings, which are now a bunch of 6 inch diameter trees.

*Ebay, ebay ebay... man I like doing it, but ain't very good/fast at it. I have a ton of cool stuff like some old one gallon jars with cork lids etc. that I have to get sold.

*My farm website. I need to get-r-done. Basically I need to get the "work" portion of it done first. The part that I want to advertise some of the hauling/plowing stuff we do on.

*My car hauling trailer has a broken board in the deck. I really need to replace the whole deck with rough sawn oak from the local amish mill, but alas the 125.00 to do that (14 foot pieces) went to my stupid oil pan. Oh, and I suppose I need taillights on it again too.

* I still have apples to press for cider, they are almost ready.

* If the weather holds out, put in a few more raised beds

* Plant a few more bulbs.

*This is a "want to, hope to" item. I have an old 67 or 68 Massey Ferguson Lawn Tractor. It's called an MF-10. It has a cast iron tecumseh, that runs well. I want to refurbish it. Man I like the old lawn tractors, it has character, and as an added bonus it was given to me!

okay, those are a few that I can think of. What's on your list???

2. Dan in WY

Dan in WY Well-Known Member

hunt pheasants
    hunt rabbits
    hunt coyotes
    hunt elk.
    That's what I'm doing this fall. Not in any particular order.

3. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Grow fins and gills to swim to the barn to do chores

Get new muck boots to replace ones that were sucked into the goo that was once a barnyard

Pray for a hard freeze

4. seedspreader

I was just watching my local news... looks to be above 50 (during the days) for the next 8 days at least. That's crazy warm for November around here!

I am hoping for one of those 60 degree Thanksgivings. The last one I remember here was in 1998!

*Dan... I will trade you lists!

5. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

Patch the Barn Roof

Try once again to prevent the coons from opening a Shoneys in my chicken coop.

Sell the Horse

Fill holes under the fence

Level the farmhouse floor

Set my treestand up (If its like last year, I won't use it, but I'll feel better knowing I tried)

Fix goat shelter

Clear path through the woods for fencing.

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Continue to cut and split firewood for the 2007-2008 heating season.

Deer opener starts tomorrow morning.

Winterize the four-wheelers, mowers, and brush cutter.

Put the snow plow on the ol' truck.

Check the sludge depth and grease thickness in the septic tank.

7. seedspreader

With just the two of you how often do you pump out your tank?

8. Colorado

Colorado Well-Known Member

Started in earnest to clear the garden and got 8 rows did and hauled to pile yesterday. Dried some peppers and picked some more. Upper part of garden has not total frosted out yet so still picking few tomatoes. Finish up elk hunting last week. No elk. Been drying seed for next year.

Clean out the garden
    Put plastic on few windows that need it done.
    Get ready for craft show the 19th
    clean house (I will be doing family Xmas dinner)
    Have trees that need cutting down.
    Build greenhouse
    Clean out pickup .
    Dry more peppers and such or freeze them
    lots of other stuff

9. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Recover from being preggo
    recover from the food poisoning I just got.

10. Cabin Fever

I hope yew get better soon!

11. Cabin Fever

The septic system is two years old. I check the sludge depth every year. Never had to pump it out.

Likewise, my pick-up is five years old. I check the oil every gas fill. Never had to add a quart of oil.

Call me anal retentive....or maybe I'm just cauious.

12. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My husbands to-do or get in the dog house list......

Fix door and chimney at camp on Sundays....Hunt (deer) other 6 days of week in November

Hook up the wife's mini cookstove this year as promised to be done last year! Put caps on existing block chimneys to reduce rain water coming in and improve draft...

Cut wood, cut more wood....cut down a couple of big ole dead ash trees near the house

Borrow BIL tractor to move chicken and goat manure into new raised beds to be planted in the Spring (pumpkins love poop)

Plan next years new window projects at home and camp

Get a new German Shorthair .... (he has been a crank since she died and the Border Collie is driving him nuts.....)

Drag my wife to my mothers for the holidays and somehow pretend that its FUN!

He has cut enough wood until 2008 for personal use but we hope to be selling excess since price has gone to $225 cord....He cleaned and tuned our oil furnace (his trade) to 86% efficiency and switched to mostly flourescent light bulbs.

I'm raking leaves, cleaning the barns, picking eggs (started laying yesterday), milking goats and today the buck is going in to the barn with the ladies to do his Fall chore. I cooked all his food before he left for hunting camp and the kids and I have rearranged 2 bdrms so we now have an exercise room! Cooking, cleaning, laundry and homeschooling most days....

We will also be laying in a big hay supply as we expect shortages in Spring...probably beginning of Dec.

13. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

I am afraid I am a little behind so far this year. Up here in Canada, we expect snow to stay starting today.

Continue cutting/splitting/stacking firewood...wish I had hardwoods up here!
    Get my deer
    Mill more hog food
    Empty the Rain Barrels!!!!Today!!!
    Butcher a couple Roosters
    Clean up the yard to avoid snow plowing anything that shouldn't be plowed.
    Change the oil in the '46 Ford Tractor
    Build a new door to the Pig Barn
    Put a new latch on the Grainery door
    Started re-painting the entire inside of the house last night...all winter job!
    Put up Christmas lights before two feet of snow lands

Thats' about it. Mostly fun stuff.

14. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've gotten so much done this past month, but I still feel like I could wind up behind schedule.

I need to put a half dozen more screws in the roof of the new addition to the henhouse, and then it's done. Came out really nice. I finished setting it up yesterday and I'm very happy with it. I have room for all the feed in there, and built a few new nest boxes for the pullets who are about to begin laying. It gets old feeding 35 birds and only getting 3 eggs a day!

Build one more raised bed and fill with the remaining topsoil and goat/sheep bedding. Brings me to 11 big raised beds (I'd love to till the big gardens but I really doubt I'll have time before winter hits).

Finish hanging board and batten siding on horse shed. I'm over half-way done. Hardest part is carrying the lumber once I've measured and cut it. Man I can't wait til all the darn buildings are completed!!

Combine all the small piles of leftover ends of lumber from all the different projects.

Build a sled for hauling feed this winter.

Work a lot of OT at the hospital so I can afford to pay the propane bill.

Edited to add: Forgot the bees! I have to put the top feeder on the hives. May not need to use them, but I want them on before it gets too cold. I pulled the full frames, but still need to spin the honey out. Want to wrap the hives in roofing paper and put a few bales of hay around as a wind block.

15. JayinCT

JayinCT Well-Known Member

Well, just like most, my list is long as well.

Pick the remained of my corn that dry as can be hanging on the stalks. 2 more acres to go. I pick and shuck by hand.

Mow the corn field as I pick to kill of some of those darn corn borers.

Remove and clean the tomato cages from the garden

Put the garden away for the winter with cover crop ect.

Somehow make another goat pen and shelter so I can have one for the Males, and one for the females.

Get up to pick up a few tons of pellets for the pellet stove

Fix the top on the chicken yard before the snow tears what's remaining down.

Block up under the chicken coop so it doesn't fall over. Never again will I build a pole barn type chicken coop with posts drilled into the ground. It was cool to have the coop 2 feet off the ground so they had shade, but when the posts started rotting off at ground level, it no longer seems like such a good idea.

Replace bathroom window

Try to find time to take one or two of those darn deer I have been feeding with my garden all summer. It's easy to find the time to grab the gun at sunrise and shoot them while right in the yard, but to find the free time to butcher it is another story.

Whew, I had better stop typing and start doing. See you people later!

Jay

16. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Building and layering up compost in new raised bed wood boxes. Working leaves is starting to seem like a frustrating part-time job. I am burning off for easier tilling a new garden spot on the edge of my pasture that adjoins my back yard before relocating the fenceline next spring. I used more caulk then I ever would have thought imaginable, but that was quite enjoyable. The weather here has been very mild thus far this fall, so I basically dropped all indoor projects for the time being. I can easily finish them when I am more housebound this cold winter. Now, if I can just get my garage organized and mow one more time, I will feel complete. I don't remember a year when I have ever still needed to mow in November. Deb

17. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I need to check my snow plow out to make sure it is still working. I want to spread some 55 gallon plastic barrols through the woods for colecting maple sap before snow falls so I wont have to lug them through the deep snow in the spring when I start tapping trees. Most of my firewood is in 8 foot logs. Id like to get it cut up, and put under the lean to befor snow hits. My outdoor wood furnace will burn wet wood but it is a pain to dig it out of the frozen dirt.

18. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm going to have to mow the grass as it's been in the 80s here for the last couple of days. Once that is done I'll be free to concentrate on getting ready for hunting.

19. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

We've ony been here 3 months; moved from suburbia. We need to do a lot of basic and getting started type things. This is not my list alone, it's mine and DH's (thank goodness!).

- Winterize the ATV, car, and pickup.
    - Rent a tiller and till what will be the garden plot. Amend heavily and mulch.
    - Replace the upstairs windows; they are old, partially rotted, and the panes are loose.
    - Find a plow, probably for the ATV.
    - Patch up the chicken house so it's ready for a flock of chicks in the early spring (don't want to be doing that in the snow!) and replace the wiring going out to it.
    - Cut down a couple of trees and put fencing in where rabbit colony will be. Get food, waterers, and everything so when we find rabbits we can move them on in.
    - Cut and split downed trees for firewood this winter (have some by the shed but need a lot more)
    - Plant fruit trees whenever they show up from Stark Bros.
    - Caulk, caulk, and more caulk. Wash and prime the house exterior. Paint if we have time before it's too cold.
    - Finish stocking pantry

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but it's plenty!

20. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Where in the world to start?!??
    I have been working like a mad woman and pushing the kids pretty hard to get stuff done before deer season. Once that is here-- it is all over! My oldest will be going on his own for the first time and I have two "new" hunters who will rotate out babysitting the youngest ( he's only 4-- we will give him another year or two before we drag him out,too). Since they are underage, they hunt with mom. Better than Christmas for us!
    We have school until noon and then scatter like a covey of quail on our individual projects and chores.
    Today, we cleaned out the smaller rabbit barn closest to the house. It will serve as winter quarters for the remaining bunnies since it is warmer and closer to electricity and water. We cleaned out the garden and put all the bunny manure on it and plan to plow it before the next frost/freeze. Finally got that Nigerian dwarf buck kid castrated. He was beginning to show romantic interests in my weanling Alpine does.
    The big job tomorrow is to start the new chicken house. Got my lumber list and planning a trip to the lumber yard.
    Sunday, after church, we HAVE to at least make an attempt to shovel out the house. If the health department shows up, we are done for......
    I cannot think past that or I will just throw up my hands and quit.
    Tana Mc