Microwave Problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Nomad, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

Our microwave has begun to spark for no apparent reason. We use microwave safe dishes and cups for heating stuff, so there's no metal in the oven. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is and whether it can be fixed or will I have to pitch it?

Thanks,

Nomad

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Where are the sparks comming from? The back, under the center, or elsewhere? Have you checked to see if the wire connections are tight?

3. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Hi Nomad,

This happened to us, with a cheaper microwave we had. It was a white microwave, and around the seal on the door the paint wore off/chipped off so there was metal to metal contact with the microwave.

Easy fix though....Use some clear nail polish and paint over where the paint is off. :)

Now, if it's something more than that, I have no idea what is happening. :haha:

Deb

4. Nomad

I should have been clearer, but I don't use it much. The wife told me this morning that it arcs from side to side. It doesn't do it every time but she says it's getting much worse. I saw one in the store ads this morning for $49 for an 800 watt model. Is that enough to do the job? We reheat food and make tea a lot.

Thanks,

Nomad

5. Nomad

Problem solved. The sister-in-law came by earlier and gave us a new one. That was mighty nice of her. She'll be getting lots of fresh veggies and herbs from our garden this year.

Nomad