Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
24 years ago I bought a little Toastmaster microwave for just heating up left overs. It really did save years of playing "what was this" in the refrigerator and I found I seldom wasted anything. Well, it's dead and now I am trying to decide if I should buy another one and if I should, what kind. Do I want one that will do more than just heat up things now that I am alone? I don't use it at all in the winter since I have the wood cookstove, but I really love it in the summer as I can cook lots of different meals and freeze the extra to heat up on days that I don't want to take the time to cook. Maybe I should get one that I can cook in?

Tell me about your microwave and please, the crowd that wants to get into all the super negatives about using a microwave..........it's all been said and I would appreciate it if you would not hijack this thread. O.K.???

edited to add: If you do not use a microwave to heat up things.....how do you heat them without having the oven on or burning them on the top of the stove like I just did with my lunch????

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Diane, microwaves are so cheap now that I wouldn't be too concerned. We have a cheapy that doesn't have many features. We use it to warm leftovers, reheat coffee, make popcorn - stuff like that.

We saw one at Wal-Mart yesterday for $44.95 and I bet there are some even cheaper.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Our microwave died several months ago when a glass pie plate I had in it blew up. (my hubby was on a road trip at the time, and told his work buddies about how hiis wife blew up the microwave...they all had a good laugh)

Anyway

We don't miss it. DH brings it up just to be sure "Honey, would you liek one for your birthday?" and I say - no. Not really. Don't want the space taken up on my counter, and it's a waste of money.

Popcorn? we use a hot-air popper.
Reheating stuff? Sometimes a toaster oven does that, or you can reheat on top of the stove, adding a little liquid to it and cover tightly. Stir occasionally until it's heated through.

It takes time, at first I did miss it, but I've gotten used to not having it. It's a matter of learning new techniques for cooking things.

L

·
0 Posts
We have a working microwave we won't use, after reading reports of the harmful chemical changes microwaves cause in foods. We use a portable convection oven, instead.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
If you can possibly afford it, get a combination microwave/convection oven. When you're feeding just one, it's so much more convenient and cheaper to heat up a small oven than a large one. With most, you can combine the two functions, or use each separately. Believe me, you won't regret it. They aren't all that expensive, really (for what you get), and they last a long time.

You can then make yourself the occasional batch of bikkies (I make half a batch) or a cake, or roast yourself a small dinner without feeling like you're feeding an army.

Another advantage is that it's easier to clean the oven when it's a microwave! Not to be sniffed at.

I really would be sunk without my microwave. There isn't a day goes by that I don't use it. It is especially useful now that I'm ill and cannot cook at all - I get meals delivered, and they are easily reheated. It makes life manageable. But when I'm well, I cook ('boil') my veges in it, and it really saves on power and washing-up.

I am not convinced that microwave cooking is any more harmful than watching TV. You need to remember that microwaves have improved immensely since you bought your original! They are much safer and more efficient.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Before you toss yours, check inside for a fuse. Mine is over 20 years old and several years ago it died. DH checked inside & found a fuse. Got a replacement at Radio Shack and have had no trouble since. I think the fuse cost him $.79!

L

·
0 Posts
culpeper said:
I am not convinced that microwave cooking is any more harmful than watching TV. You need to remember that microwaves have improved immensely since you bought your original! They are much safer and more efficient.
I don't know if it's harmful or not. My philosophy is better safe than sorry.

Once you get the swing of using a convection oven, it's as fast and easy as using a microwave. And the food tastes better.

If you just need to heat a liquid, the stove top is as fast as a microwave.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
I don't use mine as much as I used to, but I really like it for thawing meat if I've forgotten and left the meat in the freezer without getting it out earlier to thaw. And in the winter they are nice for cooking oatmeal or heating soup. I don't use them too much for anything else, but they sure are great for that.

That's terrific that you got 24 years out of yours! That must be a record! :)

Jennifer

·
Registered
264 Posts
We also own a combination microwave/convection oven and just love it!

Edited to add that I never use the microwave to heat water. I have a tea kettle on the stove at all times for that. For some reason microwaved water really bothers me.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Haven't had a microwave for some years now. I don't miss it at all. But then again, most of my leftovers are turned into lunch which I take to work and microwave there! So I guess if I was home all the time I might like to have one.

If I were to get one, I'd look at the convection/microwaves as well. I don't know how much more they cost, but they just seem like they would be so much more useful!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your responses. Somehow I knew that even if I asked that the thread not be hijacked that a certain someone would do it anyway. I have been wondering about those combination convection/microwaves and was glad to hear that they worked well. In the winter I have an at the ready oven 24/7 because my wood cookstove is my primary heat but in the summer I don't bake or anything because I hate to heat the house up. When hubby was alive I would bake for him early in the morning but I wouldn't just for me. Can you bake a pie in a convection oven?

L

·
0 Posts
diane said:
Can you bake a pie in a convection oven?
Yes. Also cakes, cookies, and anything else you can bake in a regular oven. A convection oven is like a regular oven (uses regular heat), but the cooking time is speeded up.

·
Dutch Highlands Farm
1,642 Posts
Anything you can cook in a regular oven will cook in a convection oven, just faster and more evenly.
I think microwave ovens are great for cooking vegies, you don't loose all those vitamins in the cooking water. Two things that are just great in the microwave: corn on the cob in the husk, absolutely fantastic, only cooking it on the grill is better.
Artichokes: cut off the top third of an artichoke, pour in some of your favorite oil/vinegar dressing (I like Bernstein's Cheese Fantastico), wrap in film or put in a covered dish and microwave 5 to 8 minutes. Yum! and so very easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts