Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally bought a new JD tractor it has 7 hours on it now and the darn mice have already built a nest in the cooling finns of the engine
I have used rat poisen and they eat it up not a cheap meal , then I have half heartally used moth balls I left them in their package and set them on the motor hoping this would work as the smell does excape the packaging
Does anyone have any ideas before these things chew some wire thanks for any imput

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
I'm not a big cat fan, but they do get rid of mice. A King Snake or Rat Snake works pretty well for the job too.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I had the same issue on my new tractor i just used liberal amounts of poison and put down a bag of yard type bug killer around where i park the tractor (gravel floor metal shed)

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Peppermint extract or oil will make the mice vanish as they don't like the odor.

In the cab if it has such, around wiring, and anywhere they might travel or build a nest.

The best would be to scatter it all around inside of a building and then park the tractor inside if not already done.

I'm not much of a betting man but I would bet on peppermint getting rid of a mouse problem. Continue to renew it every so often.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
If you park the tractor where other pets can''t get to it use one bite. I realy works.

·
Registered
572 Posts
MOTH BALLS------I can and have for the last few years put moth balls around and on the engine of the lawnmowers. The mice ate the wiring a few years ago. Moth balls work every time.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Poisoning mice on a farm is a bit like trapping flies..there are always more. AND when you poison the mice, you run the risk that a dog or other carnivore will eat the dead mouse. (one of my dogs found one in the house, ate it....wasn't pleasant)

I'd go with the peppermint oil. or a ton of mothballs. peppermint oil smells nicer, tho :) you can pick some up either in grocery, or in craft supply (soap or candle scent) hmm...walmart even...floral supplies stuff...for making poupori.

you could always plant peppermint, too :) That's a nice green way to go. then park your tractor on the peppermint plot.

·
Registered
762 Posts
went to visit a lady at a small farm the other..We used to get our chickens from her and wanted to see some again..she gave us the $1 tour and when she stopped in the barn, she asked if we wanted to see the "most profitable animal on the farm"..we said "sure" and she went to a plastic tub and took off the lid and there were dozens of TINY mice inside.under heat lamp..she raises them for the pet store and sells them for $1 each.Mite be worth looking into..sry for sidetracking thread

1 - 13 of 13 Posts