Mice in the rabbit barn?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by nans31, Jan 24, 2005.

1. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

How do you keep mice away?
    What are some of the effects of mice in the barn? Healthwise etc.
    nan

2. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Nan, I found some of the most wonderful little black plastic/rubber, triangular 'boxes' at Tractor Supply last year...... They are designed to put D-Con pellets in and only allow the mouse in! I used it in my chicken house.. and it was wonderful!!

The mice were like??? EVERYWHERE... and I just KNEW whatever I did, the chickens would get it. That's when I found the boxes. They even have a 'key' to open them with.

I know they're cute.. but ewww.. The best thing also is to keep your 'barn' CLEAN.. no feed exposed. They are probably having a field day with the droped pellets that the bunnies don't eat. Do you have the J-Feeders w/screen?

Good luck. I tried several things on the mice.. and that is what worked best for me.

3. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

I have the d-con but didn't want to put them in the barn. I was afraid that they'd carry them and drop them where a rabbit could get it. I've just bought a bunch of traps and will put them around.
    I have some feeders with screens, most don't. This morning while feeding a mouse jumped out of a rabbit's feeder when I walked by! YUCK. I'm wondering now what health problems it could cause.
    nan