Mice in house - color question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lynnette, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Lynnette

Lynnette Michigan Hobby Farmer

I noticed recently that I have a slight mouse problem in the house, always had bunches outside but never found evidence inside. Anyway, they found their way in, and I have begun setting traps, and I have caught 2, but the color is like none I have ever seen in a "house mouse". The only mice I have ever seen in the house are grey, these were both brown with white bellys, they look more like a pet breed of mouse to me, but noone has ever had a pet mouse in the house, where did they come from, or is this just a normal mouse that I have never seen?

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

3. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like a Deer Mouse to me. They have big ears, white underparts and white feet. Cute as the dickens and multiply like crazy.

Jennifer

4. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I think it's deer mice that carry hantivirus. Am I correct? The reason I ask is because they seem to have moved into my house in droves.

5. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here, house mice are grey-the field mouse is brown, with a light underbelly-

6. Lynnette

7. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

All I know is mice like peanut butter~! And when the trap snaps and I get em out of the house the better I feel.

8. NWoods_Hippie

NWoods_Hippie Well-Known Member

Hi,

Deer Mice, that is about all that comes in around here, hardly ever see the common old grey house mouse here in Northern Wisconsin.

www.americanbear.org/OW deer mouse.jpg

Is this your mouse?

Margie

9. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

When I had chickens I started getting mice really bad. I figured out how to get rid of them without hurting my chickens. Well some figured out "hey, why dont we just go to the big house" and in they came. I set traps but they just kept coming. So I got a cat. Everyday that cat had a mouse in its mouth. sometimes more than one a day. With in a couple of weeks no more mice. They packed their bags and left.
    Susie

10. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Jennifer, I'm glad I am not the only one who find mice cute. Hate the damage they are capable of etc. but they're still cute. But then, I think bats are equally cute :)

Huys
    Marlene

11. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Tell them they're the wrong color and to get out

LOL

12. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Ugh.

I hate mice.

I do NOT think they are cute. They are scary minions of the devil.

Pony!

13. Lynnette

I think it may be, the brown is a bit lighter than that, but it is closer than anything else I have seen.

During the Fall my cats had a mouse carnage outside, there were dead mice everywhere that the cats had killed, and left, but they were all grey mice. Thanks!

14. Lynnette

That is how I got mine, one cleaned off every speck of peanut butter before the trap went off, the other didn't even get a taste before meeting his maker.

15. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I bet this is the guy you caught:

http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/mammals/pero-man.html

Two of these little devils thought they were going to set up housekeeping in Hollyhock Cottage for the winter. They are now attending "potty camp" -- similar to "freezer camp" hehehe -- I got a couple of those "V" traps and slobbered peanut butter on them and that took care of the problem pronto!!

Good luck!

MaryNY

16. Lynnette

Nope, that wasn't it either, the first deer mouse picture I saw was close, but this picture looks completely different then what I caught. I didn't look at their eyes, they were both caught with their whole head in the trap and I didn't want to look at it that closely.

17. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

18. Lynnette

Thats it!!! Thankyou!!!!! It seems silly to let such a stupid thing bother me, but it was really bothering me. I appreciate everyone's help. Are they commonly found in houses, I have never seen one in any house, or heard of it for that matter.

19. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Well, two of the little fools thought they were gonna live with me for the winter, so I guess they do live in houses. I think they are what is commonly called field mice. I have had them in other houses as well -- mostly out in the country - so I guess they are pretty common.

Good luck with evicting them!

Take care!

MaryNY