Homesteading Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We get a ton of mice in the house. We've stopped up holes but we clearly haven't found the main thoroughfare yet. It's really disgusting and bothersome. I can't even use 4 drawers in the kitchen because we get mice in them constantly. We've used about every kind of mouse killer out there as well. We get a few and then it's like the rest become too smart to fall for it and we have to switch to something new. This really really really bothers my DH. He bought this expandable cement foam that is supposed to be a cure for mouse holes. He's had it for 3 months and still hasn't used it. He totally blew up about the mice saying he hated coming home, etc because of them. I was pissed at him for that, of course. So he admitted he's done nothing and he needs to fill in any possaible entrances, etc. STILL NOTHING. I feel like he's waiting for me to do it and I down right refuse to. I care for a crap ton of stuff around the house, the kids, the animals, the farming. He can bloody fill in the mouse holes if it's so important to him.

Or maybe I should suck it up and get it done. The mice bother me too.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, can't have cats. The dogs kill them. Our hunting dog is fairly good at finding where the mice are living but he's always too big to get to them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You can't have cats but what about terriers? Rat terriers are amazing mousers. Yorkies are as well, but they are generally harder to train and less people friendly...which could be a good or bad thing.

I would honestly suck it up and do it if he won't, just for your health and safety. I know it's not fair. DF sometimes needs a match lit under his butt to get chores done too, but I can be the same way so we just pick our battles wisely. Foam the holes and let him know it was his job but you took care of it. No need to suffer over his stubbornness.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can't have cats but what about terriers? Rat terriers are amazing mousers. Yorkies are as well, but they are generally harder to train and less people friendly...which could be a good or bad thing.

I would honestly suck it up and do it if he won't, just for your health and safety. I know it's not fair. DF sometimes needs a match lit under his butt to get chores done too, but I can be the same way so we just pick our battles wisely. Foam the holes and let him know it was his job but you took care of it. No need to suffer over his stubbornness.
I posted here last month about my amusing attempt to get a rescue terrier. They denied me since we have a farm. lol I've not given up on that idea, there just aren't any breeders in my area so I have to wait for one to show up at the pound.

I had a feeling ya'll would say do it. Grrrr.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would just get it done. That many mice can become a health problem. Especially if they are in your kitchen drawers
The drawers are taped shut. We've not used them in 5 years. I tried to use them in the beginning but yeah, health hazard. We have a trap in one of them and catch at least one mouse a week in it. Sometimes one every day. I just can't figure out how they're getting in. We've plugged up all the holes inside the house we could find. I'm just going to spray the entir way around the foundation outside I guess.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Call your local shelters and tell them you're in the market for a rat terrier or rat terrier mix..they show up pretty commonly. They may take down your number and call you when one gets surrendered. I'd suggest CL too but CL just enables backyard breeders.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I read that pepperment oil is supposed to deter them. You're supposed to put some water in a spray bottle and add a few drops of pepperment oil. Then spray the areas where they may be coming in or areas where they are trafficing through.

I don't know if this truly works, but it might be worth a try.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read that pepperment oil is supposed to deter them. You're supposed to put some water in a spray bottle and add a few drops of pepperment oil. Then spray the areas where they may be coming in or areas where they are trafficing through.

I don't know if this truly works, but it might be worth a try.
I heard this as well. As a result I'm growing all mint variaties all the way around my house.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
We've never been able to seal our house up enough that we don't see signs of mice on occasion. Comes with the territory of rural living. I have to keep poison in our RV or mice will destroy it. Let a car sit too long, they make a nest in it. Even with no food kept in the (detached) garage, we see signs of them out there, too.

We keep a mouse trap baited with peanut butter in the kitchen at all times. Behind the trash can, under the sink, in the back corner of the counter behind the mixer, someplace the big dumb dogs can't lose their tongue with it. Also, we have had pretty good luck with a battery powered trap:
http://www.victorpest.com/store/rat...B1nV_NV0rXHLorUCttWlNVKs2gVRyKLNrHBoCI3zw_wcB

Very convenient and less gross than the snap trap. If you place it where you can see the indicator light, you can tell at a glance if you got one and you need to dispose and reset. If you got a mouse and the bait is gone, you have more mice -- they crawled over their dead comrade to eat the bait!

It's just an ongoing thing, our strategy is to try and kill the first mouse who comes in, never let them nest and multiply on our turf.

Those unused drawers sound like a good place for an electronic trap. Once you can go a few days without getting a mouse, clean and use the drawers again and keep a trap in the back of one for future protection.

You and your hubby can hash out on your own, who does what. I'll give mouse control advice but not marital advice!

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
You can stop up all the holes you wish but that's not going to keep them out. They'll just chew through somewhere else. I don't think you can ever really get rid of them. To get them under control you are going to have to trap, poison, remove all the attractors you can find. Then you you'll have to have a regular schedule of trapping to keep their number down.

Doing something one time and expecting that to end the problem is like mowing an overgrown yard and thinking you have fixed it forever.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can stop up all the holes you wish but that's not going to keep them out. They'll just chew through somewhere else. I don't think you can ever really get rid of them. To get them under control you are going to have to trap, poison, remove all the attractors you can find. Then you you'll have to have a regular schedule of trapping to keep their number down.

Doing something one time and expecting that to end the problem is like mowing an overgrown yard and thinking you have fixed it forever.
We've never stopped trying to kill them. They just come in waves. It's fall so they're moving in. How are they getting in though? Can't we just plug the entrances up and then eradicate what's inside? That's the dream!

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
You have to seal your house to eliminate the mice and you begin with sealing off outside entrances such as around foundation venting, heat/air/dryer vents, low windows, any plumbing lines/spigots, etc. A combination of stainless steel pads and the spray foam is best.

Don't forget the gutters. Stuff the entrance to those with stainless steel pads too, but no spray foam here. Any large areas such as the foundation vents, chimney entrances need a heavy gauge wire screen covering/backing and need to be checked at least twice a year for breakage/holes.

Indoors think like a mouse and look for any entrance bigger than a pencil eraser and plug it. Set only wooden traps indoors, no poison in any area a mouse is seen. Check these daily and keep baited with peanut butter scotch taped on along with hard cheese melted into the hook part. Carefully use a grill lighter to melt the cheese down and around the metal and while the cheese is still warm use a toothpick to push it in and around the release snap. Wash and sanitize the traps with bleach water/soap wash/rinse and rebait after emptying.

Put dead mice away from house and watch for barn/stray cats. Keep all mouse house material away from your house outdoors, especially old cars/vehicles. Haul them off and sell for scrap metal and use the money to buy mouse fighting supplies.

oh, and good luck.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.