Mice....again!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TxMex, Jul 4, 2016.

1. TxMex

TxMex Well-Known Member Supporter

I just moved into a new house and I've already got a mouse problem. This being the middle of summer, I'm dreading the first cold spell! I had rodent problems so bad last fall that I moved out until I could get the mice, ground squirrels AND rats cleared out. It got cold and they all moved in. Hired a professional exterminator that said in his decades of experience that he'd never seen anything like it. Destroyed everything in my pantry that wasn't in buckets. I sold that house....in no small part because of the rodent invasion.

I just don't think I can go through it again! I have sticky traps down and they seem to be fuzzy enough to spare the hair it takes to get off of them successfully. I'm desperate! I'm extremely allergic to cats. I'm at the point of looking into those weird hairless cats or getting a pet snake. Suggestions please!

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  2. terri9630

terri9630 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd start by putting everything in mouse proof containers. We have everything in canning jars. As soon as it comes in the house it is re packaged. Get the sticky traps for rats. There's more of them to get stuck on so it's harder to pull off of. We also had to resort to mouse/rat bait in and out of the house where the dogs can't get them. We had a mouse highway in our vents so we tied some sticky traps to the registers so we could pull them back out if they were dragged. Just use a hole punch on one of the plastic edges. If the house is elevated or has a crawl space you can toss some bug forgers under it. It will kill any babies that are to young to run off. Just make sure your pilot lights are out on any gas appliances. It takes time but we haven't seen signs of mice in the house for a while now. We still have them in the barn though.

We usually get them when it's extremely hot or wet. They aren't much of a problem for us in the winter. Good luck.

TxMex and MoBookworm1957 like this.

3. COWS

COWS Well-Known Member

I use snap traps tied to something so a caught mouse can't drag it off. In a little over a week I have caught 7. I don't bury them, something comes and digs them up. I throuw them out at the edge of the yard. Something gets them overnight or sooner, ,probably crows, ,but plenty of overnight suspects. Raccoons, possums, skunks, foxes...

COWS

4. doozie

doozie Well-Known Member

Well, you learn something every day! I never thought of tying something to a sticky trap for vents,or the traditional ones either....we can now put traps in some otherwise hard to get to places in the future if we need to. Such a great tip.

5. RichNC

RichNC Well-Known Member

You have and I mean HAVE to find all areas they can enter your home, seal them up with expanding foam or caulk or you are just going to keep having this problem over and over every year.

Sorry you are having this problem.

6. TAGoodwin

TAGoodwin Active Member

Put a a very small dab of peanut butter in the middle of the sticky trap. It will attract them rather than sit there waiting for the critter to walk across. Peanut butter on the snap traps also. I affixed a water bottle cap to the trigger of the snap traps. Fill the cap, More peanut butter makes them stick around and eat more

7. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  8. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

Do not resort to poison.
    Oh my good-ness....
    I dont care if they tell you it mummifies them, causes them to leave the house to find water, or whatever the case may be, do not do it. Do not, do not, do not!

We had something die in our floors last fall. It was stomach turning. No matter what we could not locate the source of the smell bc it was behind a wall or under a floor or cabinet or somewhere.
    Winter came and the smell went. Summer came rolling back around and so did the smell.
    I was about ready to rip my kitchen cabinets out before the smell finally went away for good.

9. TxMex

TxMex Well-Known Member Supporter

Apparently peanut butter is a magical substance as far as mice are concerned. I put a dab in the middle of a sticky trap about 15 minutes ago. I opened the door and looked at the trap when I was in the kitchen just now more out of reflex than that I thought something would be caught. One down, hopefully not many more to go. I hate sticky traps....they can still stare at ya! :teehee:

terri9630 and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  10. NikkiL

NikkiL Well-Known Member

I've been fighting them since we moved to the country too. We tore down the chicken coop since it was a mouse hotel. Put sticky board everywhere and caught several. Husband put spray foam insulation around all the pipes coming in the house. Even had an exterminator come who put bags of poison under the house. And after all that we had a mouse get in this week. Of course it was when we were having house guests. Nothing more embarrassing. If you find a magic cure, let me know.

11. tree-farmer

tree-farmer Well-Known Member

When we ran out of peanut butter last winter, I used coconut oil. It worked really well.

12. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

The magic cure is sealing the house...many years ago when I moved into a 38 cottage development, we started having mouse problems...about half the cottages were affected. Thankfully, I went under my cottage (houses were mounted on concrete piers, so there was a 2-3ft crawl space) and caulked every seam of plywood (18 tubes of caulking courtesy of the builder).
    I then picked up a sideline of sealing all the problem cottages. Most entry points were the service entry points (water, septic, power and cable). And in two cases, the builder failed to sheet the underside along a beam or just did a poor sheeting job....that was too easy for the mice.

When I sold and moved to a rental cottage by the same builder, I had mice from get-go...they were in the walls and between floors...ever sleep and the ceiling above you has mice running back and forth like they are playing a soccer match? Maddening. Found out one side of a 4x8 sheet of plywood had fell down under cottage and the perfect on-ramp awaited them. They used to sell seed bait that made them thirsty, and I used that, as they would go outside to quench their thirst. They don't make it anymore due to birds. After closing on-ramp, I was walking to my place at night with flashlight when I caught their beady eyes poking out of cable TV exit point...I let them leave, and immediately caulked around cable. Never a problem after that fiasco.

Then I move into a RV, which a sealing nightmare...had mice after first cold snap. So, I crawl under with caulk and spray foam and get all service points. Put snap traps around perimeter of RV (I had skirted it), and they like to go along walls. Every night for about two weeks, I'd hear a snap...then about two hrs later, I'd hear tinkling as a Racoon would take the trap about 20ft away from RV and have lunch. It was a good arrangement, as the trap was clean and ready to go the next day. I had one of those Victor metal box live traps inside before I managed to find all the entry points...it was good, but sometimes they'd escape, and disposing of the them sucked, as one is supposed to drop metal trap into a bucket of water. Other times, I would go for a drive and release them. Not a fan of those traps as the mice make a racket trying to get out and wake me up.

Last winter, not a mouse. Knock on wood. lol
    One suggestion: don't try to seal house from inside, as they will just roam the walls and ceilings...go after the entry points outside.

A couple of decades ago, I had a mouse get into my condo, 12 floors up! And I saw him climbing the exterior concrete wall! Was surreal. Evening sunset, on balcony, enjoying view, and I see this bugger scaling the wall. I was impressed at his free climb. I closed the balcony doors, but he managed to find a way in. They are relentless. Thankfully, he was easy to catch in my 400sqft concrete box.

PS - I use peanut butter too...with stellar results.

13. CajunSunshine

CajunSunshine Joie de vivre!

I have sucessfully used coarse grade steel wool (NOT the finer grade or the soap pad kind) to block them out.

Expanding foam didn't work for me; it is so easy for them to chew through the stuff.

Mice are attracted by the scent of other mice that have previously established trails, and will generally knock themselves out to remove whatever blockage they encounter. Coarse steel wool causes mouth pain, and they give up...at that location at least.

14. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Well-Known Member Supporter

We used to have mouse crap all over our garages and sheds. And they got in our house too until I sealed off the openings. Then we got cats - mousers. They do a great service to us in cleaning up the rodents. No more mouse problem, inside or out!

If you simply trap or kill the mice, they will keep coming in. If you can seal off all inlets, you can keep them out of your house. But they will still be in your out buildings, chewing up your spark plug wires, and building nests in your air filters, leaving a filthy mess everywhere. Get two kittens, kept outside, with shots and fixed.

Jimtom and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  15. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

Problem around here is the coyotes always seem to get them...
    Not a week goes by when some neighbour is asking about their cat...
    And those bloody coyotes make a racket when they get one...they yip all night long, like they took down a TRex.

terri9630 and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  16. FarmerRob

FarmerRob Well-Known Member

I have read posts on this forum saying that peppermint oil was the solution. They always specify OIL NOT EXTRACT. That might be worth a try. Personally I have always been able to deal with them with snap traps and chunky peanut butter. I used the creamy type once and it got licked off the trap without setting it off. When I wedged the chunky into the bait area the next night they got their necks broken.

Since you can't have a cat you should try to find a Rat Terrier. They are great companions, love their owners--real people pleasers, and can kill a mouse or rat is a second or two. They go nuts over rodents. They bite down on the neck, give them a good shake, and it is over in an instant...a clean humane kill. If the squirrels and chipmunks are too slow they will get them too.

17. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Well-Known Member Supporter

With respect to cats, one thing you can do is make sure to feed them late in the evening - this will keep them closer to home during the night hours when a coyote is likely to nab them. They will still get the mice, just not as many, but you will keep them a bit longer. We have lost cats, but one black one was with us for about 7 years.

18. puddlejumper007

puddlejumper007 Well-Known Member

i agree with sea goat,,,do not use poison, used d con one time and had three dead mice by my hot water heater, stunk up two rooms terrible until i could find them... they do not go out side to die... traps work great, i have a jack russel dog that lets me know when there is a mouse around, he will open cubbard doors and i know it is time for more traps.

19. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Snakes work for me during the summer. Far fewer are alive in the fall to look for winter accommodations. I have a standing offer of $20 for live, unhurt black snakes.

TxMex, terri9630 and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  20. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

I second the peppermint oil. I have been using it for 3 years now and no longer have a mouse problem. They used to come in every fall and winter, but not anymore. Usually I squirt some into each heating vent and run the fan for about 20 minutes. I have also just put the peppermint oil in small containers such as a soda bottle lid in closets and other hard to reach areas.