MF65diesel and MF150diesel

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HermitJohn, Apr 27, 2005.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Stopped and looked at these tractors for sale at upcoming auction. Am considering a replacement tractor for my old MH444 which spun a bearing last December. (I need to advertise it on web sometime this summer and maybe it can find a new home with some collector/restorer.)

Dont know much about the auction tractors. Both started fairly easy and ran decent without billowing smoke. Tranny worked. Hydraulics work at least as far as I could test them. No serious fluid leaks. Tires very cracked and dry rotted on the 65. Standard steering on 65 and lot of play in steering gearbox. Tires just bald on the 150. Antifreeze clean. Oil relatively clean for a diesel. These are old tractors from the 60s if I am not mistaken. From looking on web, the 65 runs from around $1500 in very rough condition to 4k or better fully restored. I figure this 65 will go $2000 to $2500 though I could be well off the mark. I only found one price for a 150 and it was for one in excellent shape with a loader so not comparable to this one.

Anybody have experience with these tractors? My notion is the 65 is the better tractor but dont have much MF experience.

2. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

I own 2 gasoline ford tractors from the 60's and have used an MF65 a few times. I would definately suggest a diesel. they have fewer moving parts, last longer, work harder and use less fuel and can be run on vegetable oil. (The party is over, folks, the days of cheap fossil fuels are drawing to a close)
    I would also suggest getting manual steering over hydraulic, because I have had to rebuild every single piece of the hydraulic steering tractor and the amount of labor is extensive and the amount of money is staggering, like $800 for the pump and about $700 for the steering sector.
    the play in the steering could be from the tie rod ends which are relatively easy and inexpensive to change. Or it may be repaired by making an adjustment to the steering box. Manual steering gearboxes have a very simple adjustment mechanism...it will be on the side of the steering box. it will look like an all thread stud about 3/8 inch diameter sticking about a half inch out from the box with a nut screwed on and locked down tight against the housing of the gearbox to keep the stud from turning. The stud has a slot in the end so you can turn it with a regular screwdriver. You loosen the nut and screw in the stud with a screwdriver until the play in the steering is gone, then retighten the nut. If the steering binds anywhere afterwards, loosen the stud a bit and try again. You can tell if it has ever been adjusted before by looking to see if the paint which was applied over the whole thing has ever been chipped or cracked on the adjustment mechanism. If not, you're in luck. If so, it may just need more adjusting, or it may have reached the end of it's adjustment and just be worn out. If it's worn out, replacing it isn't all that expensive, or you could just drive it like it is. If you're still left with looseness, well...Loose steering on a tractor is a bit annoying but you do get used to it.

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

both have there pluses and minuses. 65 with the reverse clutch was the cause of many bruises. more power than the 150 but older. 150 shares the same engine as the 135 but many other parts are only 150 and not many made compared too the 135. steering on both will need tightening not good loader tractors but good utilitys.my choice would be the 65 of the two . the web site zeal posted is pretty good! all massey are good to work on with little experience(up to the mid '70's)