MF 85 Tractor questions

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Bouncenhumble, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Bouncenhumble

Bouncenhumble Active Member

I just bought a MF 85 that I'm intending to restore to use as our farm tractor. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with or knowlege about this tractor. I know a few things; the water pump is leaking, but I can't find a gasket kit. I guess I'll have to buy a new water pump. ($105) The hydraulic fluid is low and needs to be replaced, I don't know yet if it's leaking or not. This is a 1960 model year. I understand that the older tractors use a heavier grade oil or fluid then the newer ones. Whenever I talk to someone about which oil/fluid to use, I get a different answer. There is also a bluish hydraulic fluid leaking out of the front. Power steering perhaps?
    Anything anyone can tell me would be imensely helpful. I've been looking for a parts/service manual on ebay, with no success so far.
    Thanks in advance.
    humbly, Humble

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Do not purchase a new water pump, any adequate machine shop can replace the bushing from their off the shelf stock and put it in for you at a lower cost, if its the gasket go to the auto supply house and get a piece of gasket material and make your own. Check yesterdays tractor forum for further info, maybe some one has the site addy and can add it here.

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

http://www.ytmag.com/

here is the site moo was talking of. great site for answers. good over all tractor and this from a ford fan! unless the pump housing is cracked the rebuild will be much less.i think they have manuels available for your model. had to buy my fordson major manuel from ebay ,took awhile to find but under twenty bucks for a manuel that no one could find!

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Old Masseys can use modern HyTran just fine. Makes the hydraulics compatable if you have a more modern Deere Ford Case etc. you won't be contaminating fluids using the remotes on equip between tractors. Not a problem for you but even Walmart sells a suitable oil. I would have guessed your PS fluid would be red, but I guess it could be blue. Check the various resevoirs and see what uses what. YT Mag also has a parts/manuals for sale section but patience with eBay usually works. Try emailing anyone selling MF manuals to see if they'll list one you want.