MeYowie!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ozark-Dew, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Ozark-Dew

Ozark-Dew AMDG

Look what we found near the chicken coop...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have seen what we believe to be a black panther as well - *shiver*

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

now you know thats a figment of all our imaginations right? After all the conservation dept denies they exist in this area :shrug:

Time for sweet and sour kitty :)

3. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

there was a capaberra at Bender Creek for a long time this spring and summer! Is someone dumping exotic animals?

4. pcdreams

I think the picture is a bobcat.

5. Ozark-Dew

Ozark-Dew AMDG

oh my, we are not too far from Bender.

PC, yes a bobcat a female weighing a tad under 30 pounds. DH has seen a Tom that was (he says) much bigger. But, I did not know that MO Consv. claims they do not exist in the area, I thought they were native to MO?

6. heather

heather Well-Known Member

looks like a bobcat to me - beautiful! what will you do with it?

7. pcdreams

I know I've heard of people seeing them around here for as long as I can remember. I may be thinking about mountain lions that they deny exist here. I always mix those up (bet I wouldn't have a problem if I saw both outside somewhere though :O )

8. Ozark-Dew

Ozark-Dew AMDG

we hung it up.

edited to remove offensive picture.

9. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Ozark-Dew,

For your sake, I hope that awful picture is some kind of joke. Because if you were part of an earth-based religious discipline you would understand the law of threes. If you kill something like that then misfortune will visit you three-times worse than if you had just left the bobcat alone. I hope you have LOTS AND LOTS of chickens to spare.

There are tons of bobcats around where I live from what I have been told, anyway. I haven't seen one - but then I probably wouldn't unless it was young and inexperienced like the one made subject of this post.

donsgal

10. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

My rule of three would be to tack in on the side of the barn with the coyote and red fox. Mess with my chickens and I'll learn ya dern ya.

11. Ozark-Dew

Ozark-Dew AMDG

Actually my religion is Heaven, not earth, based - I am not overly familiar with the "law of threes", my only true fear is hell.

I am not sure what you mean "kill something like that" do you mean kill something like a bobcat, or the means in which is was killed? If it is the later it was done without cruelty. Actually, we did not kill it a neighbor did, we only trapped it.

The cat was killed not only because it threatens the chickens, but mostly due to the potential threat to the children.

Its meat was eaten - and its skin preserved - but if the picture is terribly disturbing and you would like, I will remove it.

<quote> unless it were young and inexperienced like the one made subject in this post <end quote>

I do not know where you come from, and perhaps the information you have garnered for your demographs is different than here. a 30 pound female is not a youngin, nor is the larger Tom that crossed paths with my dh in broad daylight. Inexperienced? I did not ask it, but since we have been in a drought it is more likely the cause of its mistake. Gracious, you made it sound like we are babykillers or somethin. It is not like it was a cute doe eyed Veal Cow :cow: people have eaten meat since forever, and for most of those milenia the meat was either hunted or trapped, and even farming is no new means of providing sustanance in the larder. Did not the "earth based religion" American Indians procure meat and utilize the pelts and hides? I can not apologize for being true to my nature. The cat had a hearty last meal and none of its limbs were smashed in the jaws of a springtrap.

12. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Do bobcats attack children when they're healthy?
    I am only asking, because I have only heard of that in rabid instances -
    I think I'll have to do some internet searching on that subject!

Edited to add:
    The info. I'm finding so far seems to say that bobcats are not a threat to people - I suppose there'd be the weird case here & there
    Edited again: Ah, yes, interesting reading on bobcat attacks :cowboy:

13. Ozark-Dew

Ozark-Dew AMDG

Heather,
    I've no doubt that a hungry enough bobcat wouldn't hesitate to maul one of my daughters to get to a kitten they like to tote around.

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned in the post above, the neighbor who killed the animal is Cherokee Indian.

14. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

We have bobcats moving in here too - and rumors of mountain lions but I don't know how true that is. Coyotes keep their distance pretty good during the day but I have no idea how far to trust the bobcats.

I love our cats and I heard they love to eat domestic cats.

15. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I don't mean to sound critical. I don't have chickens (or daughters for that matter), and I can't honestly say that faced with the same choice I wouldn't do the same thing that you did. I can't say that.

I guess I am just too soft hearted to really understand. I don't agree with killing anything that is just acting the way that nature (or in your terms - God) intended them to act. It seems unfair that they are just doing what they are supposed to be doing and end up getting killed for it.

But it is your place, and I will definitely stand up and fight for your right to do anything that you feel is right to protect your home and family and chickens. That is your right, after all.

I guess the photo just upset me cause I love animals so much and that bobcat was so beautiful I hope that your Cherokee neighbor gave it the honor and respect it deserved when it died. I'm sure he did, so that the spirit would rest peacfully.

*sigh* sometimes I wonder if I'm cut out for the homesteading life after all.

donsgal

16. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

We have had bobcats in MO forever seems to me.
    A couple years ago, my SIL was deer hunting and one came at him enough to make him think he was going to have to shoot it to get it to go away. He said he finally scarred it off without having to shoot it.

There was a season on bob cat in MO I do not know when it is.

17. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

What does bobcat taste like? I've never eaten it. I've shot and trapped several and tanned the hides but never ate them. In fact I have a few too many on the farm now and I'll probably kill and skin a few this winter after deer season. Might try cooking one if they are good table fare. Oh, and they're not dangerous to humans unless they're cornered or rabid or injured or something. You would be hard pressed to find a documented bobcat attack on human. They're hell on chickens if they get in the pen though. Neighbor shot one that was killing a lamb this spring.

I'm sorry you removed the pic by the way. I was too late and didn't get to see it.

Nature is offensive. More offensive to itself than man can be. Ever see a hawk or owl dismantle a rabbit? I listened to an owl eat a rabbit this spring. Screamed for a very long time while the owl picked pieces off. Took quite a while to get to a vital spot. I've got a tomcat who is a lovable fuzzball but will torture a mouse for hours for entertainment. Ever watch coyotes kill a deer? That is pretty offensive. Far more offensive than pics of a bobcat being skinned.

Tomorrow we'll have all sorts of offensive stuff going on. There will be all sorts of deer carcases hanging from the trees in folks front yards. Back when I lived in town some dingbat woman went on a letter writing campaign to the local paper about how terrible it was for the poor little school children to see Bambi strung up from a tree in the front yard. She honest to god started bawling in front of the city council about it. In the end she was rightfully ignored as a loon. She still writes letters to the paper about it and probably complains to the dozen cats or so cats she lives with.

Now I'm off to the deerstand to slaughter Bambi's father and 4 of Bambi's antlerless siblings. Wish me luck! I'll see if I can hunt up a digital camera and post the pics. There will be grilled backstraps on the homestead tonight! Yummy!

18. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

In one breath you're saying that the Conservation department states that they are extinct or nearly extinct, and in the next you show a picture of it nailed up to a board in a tree.

If the animals are near extinction as you stated, why did it not occur to you to call the Conservation department and ask them to relocate it. It could not harm you nor your chickens sitting there in a cage. Or if you could not contact them, why didnt you put it in your car, and relocate it yourself to a less populated area.

There is something in my family called the of the honor of a kill. If the cat had been lose and attempting to get into your chicken pen, then you had the right to kill it to protect your stock. But locked up in a cage, unable to do any harm, it brings dishonor to both you and the supposed indian that killed it.

19. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

killing an endangered animal and bragging about it on a public message board?

now that's priceless.

and not very bright.

i'll say it again... if you are so afraid of wild animals, why are you living there with small children??

20. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Bobcat attacks on humans are almost non-existent. Of the very few that have been documented in the U.S. over the years, I believe that the cats were believed to have been rabid. It's just not in their nature to attack something so much larger than they are.

And they are NOT an endangered species in most areas of the U.S. Quite common around here; they are moving into the suburbs because of loss of habitat.