Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a wonderful friend gift me with Meyer's lemons. I saved the seed. Now the questions (sorry, if it is domb). Are Meyer's lemons grafted (like apples), or can I plant the seed and get the Meyer's lemon trees? These lemon trees look to be the dwarf variety. I have had success with germinating lemon seeds before. They just grew so big in the pots that I had to get rid of them.

I am in Zone 8-9. Yes, I know I would have to protect them from our North Texas winter.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
I bought a Meyer Lemon tree and it is grafted, it has grown larger than I would like but think I will prune it after the fruit matures (if it does).

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
I am zone 7B and my Meyer Lemons do just fine without too much help. On cold nights just string the large Christmas lights in the trees and turn on when it gets really cold. In fact if you travel the Gulf states during the winter ou think the people there are really lazy for not taking their Christmas lights down - NOPE, they are protecting trees. The lights make a halo of slightly warmer air around the tree.

Do yourself a favor - buy your trees - it will save years and years of growing.

·
Super Moderator
16,906 Posts
Might I suggest that you both buy a tree and plant some seedlings?

It is wicked fun when seedling trees start to bear: I did it with apples. I got a really delicious crab, an apple that is like a golden delicious but with an orange blush, a couple of bland ones, and one tree that had fruit that tasted bad one year, but really good the next year.

I also have a store bought tree, as the seedlings might not have had good fruit. It HAS been fun!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Terri,

What a great idea! It is such a kick to see if a tree will grow from a little seed.

Yucca Flats,

I have used a heating pad to protect my former lemon tree. Never thought of my Christmas lights.

Thanks for all your suggestions,
Cocinera

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Cocinera with cheap seedlings from seed why not plant- some of them will probably survive even TX winter. I have bougth ones in pots- a friend is trying to get me to put them outside at least the Meyers lemon. Plenty near here do so- think tey lose trees every 10 years or so and if I am in town and cathc the weather report in time might be able to keep them cozy on such a rare night.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
I guess North/South is one of those relative things, but we are in Central Texas Zone 8. How are you in North Texas and Zones 8/9?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts