Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a methane digester for our swampy area on our property it bubbles up gas all the time. Any ideas? could we use it to run outside oven to bake bread and pizza and stuff or distill water. I used to work for a gas distribution company in colorado and know the dangers of methane it could be oderized pretty easy.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Are you wanting to build a digester or a simply a device to capture what is coming up naturally?

Could be used for about anything if there is sufficient quantity.

The Reno County landfill has been undergoing methane testing and negotiations with Morton Salt with the plans to sell the gas to them. Looking at about $1 per year if I recall the news article correctly. Could be easily piped as they are not that far from each other. Morton would use it to dehydrate brine into crystals.

·
East Central MN
609 Posts
I'd be curious on your plans to capture it. It can be used for anything that runs on propane or natural gas, although you probably need to adjust the burner or orifice.

In MN it's getting pretty popular to take the menthane from dumps and run generators to make electricity. There's also a Dairy farm in our county that uses methane created by the manure to generate electricity. http://www.mnproject.org/e-haubenschildfarm.html

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I would think that you could just cut the bottum out of a large plastic irrigation water tank and stick the cut edge down in the mud. If it is kept weighted, and the cut edge doesn't ever break the surface, it should collect gas.

HOWEVER, the original air present in the tank, mixing with methane, could be potentially dangerous, having the ability to explode. The plansI have seen have be designed so oxygen from the air can not enter the tank. How would you make sure there was no oxygen in the tank when you start to collect methane?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to build a frame from 3" pvc sch 40- 10x40 that would float on the standing water of the swamp and take thick mil. plastic sheeting and stretch it over the frame then cover that with some old corrugated roofing I have that 10' long and seal the seams with calking. this would float on the water and seal the frame to the water then put 3 -1" opening in the tin and create a pvc manifold that would hook to a rubber gas line like they use on a propane truck this would go to the pressure tanks this will be constructed from 2 chemical holding tanks with the tops cut out and 2 water heater tanks 40 gal. with bottoms cut out gas will bubble in the bottom of the w/h tanks and I set up counter weights to create pressure. It wont cost all that much because Iv salvaged most of it except the plastic sheeting and rubber hose and if it doesn't work
Ill have a light weight roof for something.
If I have a flaw in the plan let me know this is new area to explore for me.

·
East Central MN
609 Posts
That's similar to how the Haubenschild Farm does it in the link I have above. Basically they push all the manure to a large tank, over the tank is a large bladder that expands as the methane expands. They capture that gas to tanks which then feeds the generator. As long as a person can over come the safety issues I don't see why your plan wouldn't work.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think if I bubble the gas through oderant before hand Ill be able to detect it better and Ill only use it out doors to power small things like BBQ , propane fridg. on porch, maybe generator. Then see how that works maybe whole house wishful thoughts.

·
Premium Member
16,063 Posts
If you just want to collect the gas produced in the sediments I would cover the area with a large sheet of plastic with a pvc pipe collector fastened in the center of the sheet. As the gas collects it will raise the center of the sheet if the edges are weighted down.

Wetlands produce a bunch of different gases like CO2, methane, hydrogen sulfide (very toxic).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree fishhead my problem is that we have lots of hail producing storms and Im afraid it would be ribbons in one season so I wanted to protect it with something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts