Homesteading Forum banner

meteor shower

2K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  paulaswolfpack 
#1 ·
Farmers Almanac alert -tonight (after midnight) is the prime time to observe an annually occur8ng meteor shower - enjoy...

#4 ·
The Perseid Meteor Shower reaches its peak Sunday night with between 40 and 60 meteors per hour! The bottom map shows the expected viewing conditions from late evening to just after midnight Sunday night.

#7 ·
busybee870 said:
we love meteor showers, ususally lay on blankets and look up and watch them, about 7 years ago was watching one and you could see the flames on them it was the coolest i had ever seen!
I think this is the one my daughter and I saw. We drove the truck out into the pasture, put lawn chairs up in the truck bed and watched. I've never seen anything like it. DH had to get up early and go to work so he wasn't able to join us. He's wished he had ever since. We want to catch this one tonight together.

#8 ·
Every time I go out meteor watching I'm reminded of a science fiction story I read years ago called Day of the Triffids, by John Wyndham. In the story there's a meteor shower which has bright green flashes most of the night long, and it leaves most of the people on the Earth blind the next day. Then these stinging(and walking) plants come along and start killing people, which makes things really tough for the few people who can see. :rolleyes:
They made a movie of the book back in the 60's, but it wasn't very good. :nono:

#9 ·
My eldest is studying Astronomy in his first semester this year (starting Monday) -- so this is going to be a great way to start him off! I'm planning a "midnight picnic" tonight -- sit on the front deck and watch while sipping hot chocolate.

I hope the skies stay clear :)

#16 ·
FourDeuce said:
Every time I go out meteor watching I'm reminded of a science fiction story I read years ago called Day of the Triffids, by John Wyndham. In the story there's a meteor shower which has bright green flashes most of the night long, and it leaves most of the people on the Earth blind the next day. Then these stinging(and walking) plants come along and start killing people, which makes things really tough for the few people who can see. :rolleyes:
They made a movie of the book back in the 60's, but it wasn't very good. :nono:
yea. Day of the Triffids (killed them with salt water)
Then the 1960s "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"
The 1970s remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The 1980s remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers
and the upcoming remake titled "The Invasion" with Nicole Kidman

#21 ·
Years ago my wife and I took our five kids on a camping outing to Kelley's Island (Lake Erie). We were camped on a bluff, overlooking the lake and there were dozens of meteors dashing through the sky. It was one of the most beautiful things I've seen.

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.